26" Bar-B-Q-Kettle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian Moriarty

TVWBB All-Star
Picked up an old 26" Bar-B-Q-Kettle in a trade deal. It has no date stamp, and for its age it seems to be in OK shape with a few minor flaws.

IMG_3984.jpg

Its one of those sun bleached Black kettles that turned Gray and no amount of Grecian Formula will bring back the luster! The previous owner drilled a hole in the lid for a Comark Thermometer which kind of tells you he did some smoking with it. Steel handles and rubber wheels, with thumbscrews in the leg sockets.

IMG_3985.jpg

It has some kind of road rash on the lid almost like something abrasive rubbed against it for a looong time and the porcelan finish is flaking in spots. Rubbing with Fine steel wool just made it worse, so I'm leaving well enough alone.

IMG_3989.jpg

The Bowl interior looks to be in better condition finish wise than the exterior and it cleaned up pretty nice.

IMG_3986.jpg

IMG_3987.jpg

IMG_3988.jpg

Ordered a cover and the ash catcher, and I have a Summit gasser thermometer and bezel I plan to mount on the lid. I want to paint the wheels and axle frame, but the axle caps are rusted on at the moment.

Just thought I'd share this oldie but goodie.

Very nice old 26er Brian! I can't wait to see the finished product. I love the steel top handle and leg screws. I also notice the top vent lever has a square lever like the original telling me it's a really early sixties or even a late fifties model. Especially without the serial number and notice the inside crossbars aren't diaganal, but sit behind the front and back handles. Very cool!

Brian,

I have the exact same Bar-B-Q-Kettle, down to the sun bleached gray color. Let us know how it turns out. I found that the unit does not move a lot of air for its size and I need to crack the lid at times to get the temps up. I have given thought to installing another daisy wheel vent on the lid.

Andrew

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AndrewW:
Brian,

I have the exact same Bar-B-Q-Kettle, down to the sun bleached gray color. Let us know how it turns out. I found that the unit does not move a lot of air for its size and I need to crack the lid at times to get the temps up. I have given thought to installing another daisy wheel vent on the lid.

Andrew </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Glad you mentioned the airflow issue, as I was wondering why there was such a pronounced wear mark on the backside handle. It looks like the lid was rested on it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AndrewW:
Brian,

I have the exact same Bar-B-Q-Kettle, down to the sun bleached gray color. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Add mine in and we have triplets!

I don't use it very often but it's nice to have when I need more space than a 22" offers. Got it for $22 at a garage sale a few years ago and it came with the corn/potato rack, too.

Brad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back