22" Kettle Leg Mods

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Johnson

TVWBB Fan
George had asked me about my leg mods that I've done and wanted more pics so I thought I'd share my reasoning and the pics that he requested.

I use my 22's almost daily. I'm 6'2" and bending over the grills became a big problem about 3 years ago when I was diagnosed with Degenerative disk desease. There was NO WAY I was giving up my grilling so I got to thinking and put the grills up on cinder blocks and they were the perfect height!.... Was looking for a more permanent solution when I happened to be in Lowes in the shower section. Lowe and behold there was the answer!

I bought two shower curtain rods. Turns out they are the same diameter and thickness as the original legs... I measured the legs and added 8" to match the cinder blocks.

I flattened the ends where the wheels go,drilled a hole for the rod but didn't take into account that by lengthing the legs they were spread out farther!...lol... Wanted to support it better so back to Lowes for one more rod, two wooden dowls and four lag screws to hold the wheels on.....

DSCN1187.jpg

DSCN1461.jpg

DSCN1458.jpg

DSCN1462.jpg

All in all I've got maybe $20 tied up in the legs mods and no more back problems while grilling.

Hope this possibly can help others with back problems..

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by george curtis:
very very nicely done. kinda gives them that alien look. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Here's what's really spooky: I was thinking exactly the same thing before I got to Georges comment. Kinda like in the movie Close Encounters.
icon_biggrin.gif

Great job though.

Bill - I am 6'1", and right now I don't have any back problems (only 35 years old), but if I do in the future, I'll definately use your method to increase the height of my OTS. Very cool idea....thanks for sharing!

Barret

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back