22 Handle Question

S Mitchell

TVWBB Pro
I have read where guys that have an 18 have to go to a 22" cover when they add handles. Will the Weber cover still fit a 22 if you add handles?

Shane i dont have a cover for my 22 wsm but i have one for my platinum and its so tight i have only used it once.(pita)

If they made the wsm cover as tight as the platinum one it wont work.

But some one that have a cover could give you an exact answer to this.

Shane.
I guess it depends on what type of handle you are using, and how far it extends.
And it also has to do with the cover it self.
I can still get my stock cover over my 08 18.5 WSM with handles that run out at about 2" which gives me a diameter of 22.5 "
My cover was loose from the get go, so if your cover is a real pain to get on without handles, than prolly not.
HTH

Tim

I got the Lowes handles yesterday for my WSM22 after seeing people do it with their 18. In this thread, they talk about bending the handles together more to screw it in, but it needs to stretch a bit to fit on the 22.

http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums/a/...0069052/m/9281086106

What I did was put the flat part of the handle in a vise (everyone with a workbench has one right?) and bend it to how I needed it. I could imagine if you bend it too many times it'll snap. Luckily I got it right on the 2nd try. Unfortunately, the handles are so close to the WSM, I cant get my fingers in. I'm going to head back to the hardware store today and get some longer screws and some washers to space it out a bit. The cover has plenty of give (it gets over the lid's horizontal handle after all) so it shouldn't be a problem at all. I'll post some pics after I get it squared away.

Hmm, interesting, James, about the handles being too close. I just put them on my 18.5 and they look ok (haven't cooked with it yet). Are they too close because of having to spread them?

On the 18.5, I was able to bend slightly using my hands and the deck to press against (rather than inserting a tool with which I was concerned about over-bending). All in all it worked out week although it looks like the metal handles may require gloves/mitts/pot holders if they get too hot. Very minor considering how much stability they add to lifting the middle section.

Rich

I think the distance between the holes on the 22 is much greater than the 18.5, thus having to stretch the handle vs compressing it down a tad. Some simple spacers should solve the problem

That would work if all I wanted were handles, but I liked what some other people had used the hollow part of the garage handle to mount a side table upon and envisioned this as the next project.

Back