22.5 WSM

Tim Jordan

TVWBB Member
Well I went deep today and ordered the 22.5 WSM off of amazon , I hope it's everything that everybody makes it out to be . I'll let you know when the next toy arrives .

I think the 22.5 solves issues when you need quantity. I did 15 slabs of ribs on it and it turned out great. I also did a 15 pound full packer which turned out great also. I also like the fact you can lay 3 full slabs across the smoker. It does use fuel and I would recommend using the minion methods for all your cooks. This thing will come up to temp fast with all the vents wide open. It holds the temps well just like the 18 but you will not get the 18 hour cook as you would with the 18.

On my Ribs cook i used 3/4 ring of charcoal which was not a full bag. On my full packer cook I filled the ring to almost over flowing and still had a few charcoal briquets left which I used to finish the cook. I think you can get 14 to 18 hours out of it if the weather is mild and no wind.

I also should just answered yes I do believe you will use more fuel.

Tim,
Congrats on your purchase. You will not regret it.
I did 3 butts a few weeks ago on my 22.5 and used 1, 10 lb bag of RO lump. Used the MM and filled the ring to the brim. Held temps for over 11 hours and after I pulled the butts, she still burned another hour or so.
I use a clay saucer in my water bowl and it helps.

Good luck with the new 22.5!

While you're waiting, read up a bit on the Vestal Virgins of ancient Rome and then--after First Burn--let us know what you've named your new mistress...!
icon_cool.gif

Back