22.5" OTS vs. OTG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barry McCorkle

TVWBB Super Fan
I currently own an older 22.5 Silver model with the 3 seperate bottom vents. Over time I bought a hinged grill and the charcoal baskets. I hate the mess of trying to get the ash out of the grill, so I am looking at going to a one touch system.

Questions: Since I have the hinged grill and charcoal basket, is there any reason to get the Gold model vs. the Silver?

Are there any colors available for the OTS other than black?

Thanks for the help.

Your older "silver" is really a bar-b-kettle if it has the 3 vents. I converted two one touch silvers to golds by buying the parts off of eBay, and I feel it was worthwhile in the end. Less risk of blowing around hot debris, and no need to jury-rig something else to sit under the grill. If you're going with new, get the gold, or even a performer. OTS comes only in black typically, but I did see some at Target that were copper in color. Those look neat, but you're more likely to actually find a gold in a color other than black.

I actually bought the OTS copper colored one from Target. It is a quality piece of equipment. However I will be upgrading it to a gold. The pan on the bottom is fine in a no wind area. But I have had a couple times that ash got all over the place.

Barry-

Brian is spot on. OTS would be a mess to keep clean especially in windy conditions. The one touch system is awesome and its a breeze (no pun intended) to keep your grill clean. I think all they come in is black. Only in the the performer line is where you'll find color options in blue, green, and black for this years models.

I had a OTG years ago that was trashed at a neighborhood pool party. Now I have a OTS. I use a Brinkmann ECB water pan instead of the ash pan that comes with the Silver. I don't have any problems with wind.

I would trade even for a Gold, but I wouldn't pay to convert. There isn't any difference in the way they cook.

Barry
You can still get the 22" grill in green, blue, and copper(OTS only) at Target as Shawn said. The colored ones are just less common to be in most stores typical inventories.
Personally I like the OTG much better just for the simple fact they make way less of a mess.

I got one silver for free in a dumpster (used for one summer, nearly brand new), and another one off of craigslist for $20. The $40 upgrade was well worth it on both.

Performer is generally available in a few colors - which ones, I don't know, as I'd never want to light charcoal with gas. Platinum is available in black & red - the red is sweet, but limited to only certain retailers. Ace has them online, but usually not in store for about $250 with free ship to store. The OTG/OTS available as listed above.

Here is my issue - if you don't absolutely, positively, have to have it in a color other than black... the colors are usually more expensive. If you need to replace a lid blown off in a storm 3 years hence, have fun getting that color, if not one of the standards. Then there is the Amazon effect. Cheaper than Walmart, with all available - free ship & no tax...

OT Platinum: Amazon (Black): $244
OT Platinum: Ace Hardware (Red): $250+tax= apx $271.00 (8.2%)

For some people, that $27 figures to ge a few bags of charcoal or a cover or...

Same for the OTG. I can get the black for about $140, while the colors are about $20 more.

The OTG is worth the extra - I only wish it had a thermometer & stainless grill. I know these can be added, but by that time, you might as well get the better cart & extras of the Platinum. Then from the Platinum (still no stainless - come on Weber), it is easy to see the 26.75, with its thermometer & stainless grill & roughly 80% larger grilling surface.

Oh forget about it - build a bigger patio & buy more grills.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ralph S:
Oh forget about it - build a bigger patio & buy more grills. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Grill Acquisition Syndrome?....reminds me of this YouTube video on GAS - Guitar Acquisition Syndrome

Having started off with a garage sale old 3-vent I'll add my vote with the crowd for the value of the OTG. It is nice to not have to worry every time about ash disposal (the ash bucket dumps nicely into plastic grocery bags for disposal after every 3-4 grills) and temp control is easier although perhaps a little less precise. If cost is an issue I suggest Craigslist where I've found grills used complete with accessories for 20-30 cents on the dollar. These things last so long (hence your old 3-vent) that a higher-model used model may provide more enjoyment than a new basic model.

22" OTG, Q100

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back