22.5 OTG Wobble Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric R

I have had a 18.5 WSM for a few years now and I finally got my first Kettle. My wife/kids got me a 22.5 OTG for Father's Day.

I had a question about how much it should wobble. The legs fit in tight and do not fall out when I lift it but it is still a bit wobbly.

I assume some wobble is normal on these kettles since it is a tripod type setup? It is not wobbly where I am concerned it is going to be unsafe.

Thanks!

Eric

I have a 18.5" OTG that was that way, screwed a self-tapping metal screw into each leg socket and it's a lot more solid now.

Eric, my legs on the OTG wobble as well. I don't think they are necessarily tight in the socket if they don't fall out. The geometry is built so they are locked in place by the angles of the leg sockets but they can still rattle around. Some people take a dowel to expand the legs that fall into the socket. Others use tape or foil to tighten them up.

Thanks for the info guys. I will probably just live with it for a while. If it gets worse I will fix it.

Thanks,

Eric

Yeah, the self-tapping screws did wonders for my One touch silver. The front leg would fall out whenever I tried to move it. Not any more.

I tried a similar mod on my 22.5 OTG a few years ago. I wanted to stop the legs from falling out when I moved the kettle (I didn't notice the overall wobbliness, just the legs falling out).
I drilled a hole through each of the leg mounts and aluminum legs, and then placed a bolt throught it with a nut on the backside (just within the ash catcher ring). This solved my leg falling out problem, however I then noticed the wobbly leg issue.
During a recent upgrade of my 18.5 OTS to turn it into a OTG, I decided to address this issue. This time I purchased a 22mm wooden dowel to insert into each of the legs. This, with a self tapping screw did the trick! (Note: the 22mm dowel fit into the legs with a little bit of room. It was the closest size match I could find in the german hardware store. Be sure to take a leg with you to the hardware store to test fit it).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back