22.5 Gold Smoking Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob (FLbobecu)

Quick question - I'm looking for an additional grill/smoker, that has the ability for solid, l-n-s 'Q. I'm not really looking to spend a fortune, and found the 22.5 Gold on sale locally.

Does the One-Touch Gold have the ability for solid 225* smoking capabilities? If so, roughly, how much of the top and bottom dampers should be open, or closed, depending on how you look at it? I know it's a little trial and error, but was just wondering if "x" amount of top damper/vent and "x" amount of bottom damper/vent will roughly give one the golden temp's for BBQ?

Thanks for your time and help!

you probably can but most cook in the high heat range. i cook in a range of 250-350 or so with no real issues. i suggest you read all in this list of posts and see. the brick trick works great plus foiling the lower charcoal grate.

I do most of my smoking in my 22.5 kettle. It works great. Lately I've been using a Temp controller so I can't remember the vent settings I used to use (Plus, I have a Performer so it would be slightly different even though the grills are the same size) but I used my kettle for years before i got a controller. Once the fire settles in, it will go for hours on 1 load of charcoal using the fire brick method (you'll have to look that up if you haven't already.) My personal record was over 13 hours on one load of Kingsford.

Anyways, yes, the kettle works great. My only suggestion is I probably wouldn't buy a new one just because you can find them on Craigslist and it would be hard for me to pay 150 bucks for a grill I can get used for $25.

I actually think my kettle can hold low temps about as well as my WSM did. I say "did" because I had both and ended up selling my WSM because I find the Performer easier to use.

Hope this helps.

You CAN certainly do L&S in a kettle. There are techniques that help you do so, and even some aftermarket tools that help out.... like the Smokenator, or even just firebricks.

If you intend on doing low and low a lot, like more than a few times per year, then I suggest moving up to an 18.5 WSM. IT is better designed to do low and slow, and you will spend a lot less time babysitting the WSM temperature while it works compared to a kettle.

Thanks for the replies!
icon_smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back