22.5 Door

Steevie Gresham

Greetings everyone,

The door to my WSM 22.5 is broken beyond repair. I contacted Weber only to find out the door is on backorder and won't be available until mid-June. I need the smoker this weekend.

Does anyone see any problem with using foil 3 or 4 thicknesses and just bungee cording them onto the cooker? I don't really have any other options that I can think of......

I would be concerned about the bungee cords melting, but nothing comes to mind on how to fasten it other than bare wire.

I might be tempted to play around with a foil pan rather than just foil. I wouldn't be too concerned about small leaks.

Brett

Brett, yeah that thought crossed my mind as well and I thought about putting a layer of foil between the cords and the cooker. I never thought about this ever happening and never thought of a back up plan...lol

Leaks don't concern me as the door leaked some anyway and never seemed to cause much problem.

steve, there is no way possible to use the door at all???
even if the knob is unfunctional, there has to be a way to put the door in place and secure it during your cook...
I'd try using the hole from the knob to clip it to the smoker some how...
good luck man! i cannot imagine not cookin' outside on a holiday weekend...

Oh man, that's horrible.

Another idea is to run to your local Lowes or Home Depot and see if you can get a small piece of .060 (or .030) aluminum sheet. Get some tin snips and cut a section that is slightly larger than the door and secure to the cooking chamber with a bungee cord or hi-temp tape to get you through the weekend.

I am wondering if they are having alot of issues with the new style handle. As I just called to have mine replaced for my 18.5 and they sent out an old style door assembly (still fits luckily). But I think the handle assembly is a weak link in the newer door design personally.

Is your door broken or JUST the handle assembly mechanism?

If it IS just the handle then I would just plug the hole with something and bungee cord it on with foil under the bungee cord as a barrier to keep it from melting.

If it IS the door I also thought that possibly you could get a small section of metal duct (if sheet metal is unavailable or too pricey) cut it & flatten it out to use as a door.

Don't think I could get it to you fast enough but I have an extra door that you are welcome to have. Does't have the latch because that is in use with my CB door but the stock door is brand new.

Well add some sticks of smoke wood or even lump peices ti get that bungy out of contact with the smoker. Foil wont help. Or am i missing something? You need air between the cooker and the cord.

Good Luck!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ToddW:
Oh man, that's horrible.

Another idea is to run to your local Lowes or Home Depot and see if you can get a small piece of .060 (or .030) aluminum sheet. Get some tin snips and cut a section that is slightly larger than the door and secure to the cooking chamber with a bungee cord or hi-temp tape to get you through the weekend. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>This is what I'd do using the high temp tape. Bend the aluminum to fit the curve. If you don't use the door, use a few of sheet metal screws to secure it and make it permanent. Or, don't bend it and and cut 4 tabs in the aluminum and use the spring action to keep it in place.

Back