2010 Weber Kettles Up Close and In Person

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pat Smith

TVWBB Wizard
I stopped by Little Hardware in Mountain Brook this afternoon to pick up a couple of replacement parts for my nephew's "Road Kill Weber" that he found on the side of the road, and saw that the store had received it's 2010 Weber Kettle Grills.

Specifically, they had a Platinum and a Performer in the new "red" color. Actually, the color is much darker and richer than the traditional Weber "redhead." It's almost brown, but with too much red to match the chocolate kettle that Weber has made occasionally in the past.

I took some pictures on my Android but the results were marginal since the sun was shining onto the sidewalk in front of the store creating some weird shadows. These pictures don't really do the grills justice - the color is gorgeous. The closest color on a grill I've seen to this is when my red 1992 Performer gets really hot, it changes from its normal red to this red/brown color.

http://i488.photobucket.com/al...NewWeberPlatinum.jpg

http://i488.photobucket.com/al...ewWeberPerformer.jpg

As for the new model, it's interesting and more attractive in person than in the photos. The "slide aside" lid assembly is different. It's pretty much the same idea as the lid holder on the Performer. It uses the cylindrical plastic pieces similar to what is on the Performer to hold the edge of the lid when it is slid back and the back of the lit rests on a metal bracket. I wonder if, over time, the metal bracket pressing up against the lid will start to chip or wear away the porcelain coating on the lid.

I didn't check the price on the grills. Little always is pretty close to MSRP, but I can tell you right now, for somebody else's dollar, I wouldn't mind finding either one of these grills under my tree or on my patio!

Pat

Thanks for the review Pat!

Guess I'll have to stop by Lowes or HD to see if they have any here yet.

Got to love the old time hardware stores!
Personal service, and in/out in less time than you can find a parking space at the big box stores.

If the new reds prove to be big sellers, maybe Weber will offer USA buyers more color choices.

Yep - I do love my old time hardware stores and am lucky to have four within about 6 miles of my house.

I definitely want to add one of the new reds to my collection, but I am getting to be a cheap SOB in my older age and with a daughter in college, so I'll have to wait until the used models start to hit CL!

Merry Christmas to you, your family and your Webers!

Pat

And a very Merry Christmas to you and yours Pat, and to all the TVWB members!

Travel safe, stay healthy, eat hearty, and keep those Webers smokin'!

a small person or as i'm a person in a wheelchair the platinum is totally useless. no way i can open the lid from front to back. terrible terrible design.

George, you are exactly correct about the new Platinum. The way the lid opens and the grill height would make it impossible for somebody in a wheel chair to slide the lid back. The lid is not hinged, so it can come off but the height of the grill would be difficult.

Do you have a Smokey Joe Platinum? With a little retrofitting, I could see that being a workable Weber for you.

Pat

Pat

thanks pat. no real big issue cuz i got three 22.5 kettles with slide asides that work perfectly for me. i'm looking for a older ss performer or platinuman so not really gonna get the new platinum, just stating a shortcoming. yes, i do have a new unused sj platinum. just can't seem to bring myself to use it but i really should.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back