2010 One Touch Platinum-feedback?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin W

TVWBB Pro
Does anyone have the new One Touch platinum?

I'm thinking about getting one. I went to look at it in person and was a little bit disappointed when I saw how the handle attaches (not welded). Also, the finish on the display at the store was not smooth. It looked a little like someone had tried to wax it but didn't wipe off the wax well. That got me wondering if there is anything else I need to be aware of.

Does anybody have this unit and are you happy with it?

Thanks.

I like the design but the fit and finish just doesn't seem as tight as it should be. Also the lid seems to be a thinner gauge material not sure on that?

Thanks Tim.
I thought the same thing about the lid, too. I'm wondering if the new performer uses the same material.

I’ll agree about the thickness of the lid on the One Touch Platinum.

My dear wife bought me a new 2009 Performer this weekend and I had a chance to examine the One Touch Platinum at that time. My local Ace had both model years of the Performer in stock, but only the 2009 set up as a display. They also had the OTP set up and after looking at the OTP and noticing that the lid felt to be a bit on the thin side, I went with the 2009 model Performer.
icon_smile.gif

It may just be my imagination, or the fact that you only lift half the lid and slide it into the lid holder, but I still got the feeling it was thinner.

I don't think it's your imagination if we all had the same thought.

I wonder why Weber did this?

How did the finish look on the one's you guys saw?

I think Weber has been thinning the gauge of the steel for years. I have a 22" OTG that's only a couple of years old, but gets weekly use. I also have an old metal handle 22" that has hardly been used. The older kettle lid feels 2 or 3 pounds heavier.... feels much more solid.

I just bought the 18.5" one touch premium, I straight away noticed that the lid felt thin. Not made of the same stuff at all. The handle is bolted to the lid and not welded, just feels cheap. Only time will tell if it holds up as good as my 22.5 OTG which has been out in all weather for 8 years.

Over the last several years, I too have noticed that the lids on new ones seem to be thinner. However, I think if one were to weigh it, or use a micrometer to verify if the new metal is thinner, the results would show that they are the same.

Lids build up the gunk/barbegoo on the inside, which contributes to the more solid feel and somewhat heavier feel of lids that have been in use for a while.

In addition, there is another recent thread about a spot welded handle that pulled off, and it seems the welds are a weak spot. Some guys have even spotted rust under the handle on pretty new grills. I think the bolted on handle may be a better solution.

Plus, you could call and order bolt on handles (from the new Platinums, or Ranch Kettle handles) to retrofit to older grills, WSMs, replacement of rust offs, etc. But if you do that, speak carefully, because Weber may not want to sell you the handles if not be used for it's original factory intended application.

Originally posted by doug ep:
Lids build up the gunk/barbegoo on the inside, which contributes to the more solid feel and somewhat heavier feel of lids that have been in use for a while.

Yep. This is exactly what I was going to say when I logged in tonight.

I called Weber CS last night on a different issue and asked about the lid of the new Platinums while I had them on the phone. The guy said there is no change in material used on the lids.

Then today I was at home depot and stopped by the grill section to look around. They still had the the 2009 performers (like the one I have at home) and I noticed the lid felt flimsier than mine does even though it's the same model. Then it occured to me that the difference is the weight of the grease and gunk.

Makes sense.

For what it's worth, I have four 22.5" lids of various vintages - 1970's, 1991, 1999, and 2006. I can perceive no difference in the weight of any of them, and I truly believe that the 2006 lid is as thick and sturdy as the 1970's lid.

I was in my local Tru-Value store over the weekend and was able to make a direct comparison of a 2009 Performer lid and the lid of the 2010 Platinum sitting next to it. The Platinum lid was clearly lighter in my estimation.

I happen to like the looks of the new Platinum model...that said,..I think a lot of what we're discussing here is perception. I believe the lids weigh the same , but sound different .... to me, a new unused Weber kettle simply sounds tin-like, when sliding the lid around, compared to the relatively solid, more substantial sound of a used gunked up model
icon_wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back