2000 genesis silver - restore

Chip

TVWBB Member
Hi All,
I just picked up a free 2000 Gen Silver. OK shape, needs an igniter and grates. The cast iron grates are rough. Actually, one is not bad, the other is rotted pretty good. The Flavorizor bars aren't that old and are fine. The burners seem in good shape. The front burner flame is yellow near the igniter. Can this be cleaned out or will I need a new burner. The other two are fine. Can I get a single burner?

Also, the smaller caster wheels need to be replaced. I haven't seen those for sale anywhere.

Thanks again

Hey Chip, nice score on the Genesis and ya can't beat THAT price. :)

When you say "2000 Gen Silver" I'm assuming you mean it's a 2000 model year Genesis. Is it a 2 burner or 3 burner? There's a parts difference between the Silver A (2 burner) and Silver B/C (3 burner) so I don't wanna give you wrong info.

Odds are, the burner tubes need a cleaning and that's the yellow flames you're seeing. Luckily, they clean up pretty easily (and nicely) and I doubt you'll need a new one. Pull the control knobs straight up to remove, remove the control panel plate, and it should become obvious how to remove the gas manifold. Once that is done, each tube will slide out where you can give a good cleaning and examination.

You can get replacement casters at Home Depot for like 5 bucks a pair.

Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll see if I can answer them. :)

Thanks Chad
It's a 3 burner and yes, the year is 2002. I cleaned the burners with a wire brush and that helped. I take it apart for a better cleaning. Grill grates, wheels and an igniter and I got myself a new grill.
Just in time too. I picked up a 2006 genesis a few months ago and was bringing my old brinkman to my summer place and didn't tie it down enough on my truck. It stayed on the truck but lots a rusty pieces bought the farm. This one will end up down there now. Should have known better anyway. lol

One neat trick for clearing any partially clogged holes in burner tubes is to use a straightened paper clip or a small eyeglasses screwdriver to punch the debris out of the holes.

The small screwdriver works really well, but grab a chair. Especially if you need to do all 3 burners plus the crossover tube.
Yeah, toss that Brinkmann and stick with the Weber. Once you tear one apart, rehabbing them might become a hobby. :D

I started with a WSM about 2 years ago. Now I also have 2 gassers, used. My friend gave me his OTS 22 when he bought a Performer. I recently picked up a Jumbo Joe for $30 new. The WSM really sold me on Weber. I had an ECB about 7 years ago and it turned me off of smoking. Luckily, I came back. No more Brinkmann, no more Charbroil.

Back