20 Degrees, 3" Snow, & Brisket

Status
Not open for further replies.

K Lynch

TVWBB Member
Just wanted to post that my WSM was awesome in its first cold weather cook. I loaded up the WSM with unlit charcoal, and threw on about 40 lit coals to get things going Minion style. To my surprise, my biggest problem was keeping the grate temp under 255.

I read previous posts that stated snow really sucks the temp out of the WSM. I found this not to be the case on Sunday. Perhaps my stable temps were due to the lack of any strong winds. I know I certainly had more temp problems on a windy, 40 fall day a few months ago. Maybe some cold weather veterans could offer their .02

Finally, I pulled the wet-rubbed brisket after about 6.5 hours and a 160 temp, foiled and finished in the oven to 205. It turned out great, but I didn't notice any difference in tenderness compared to the non-oven finished, non-foiled brisket cooked this summer under a Boston Butt. Guess I'll just have to do another one soon......

If you have a digital camera, I'd be interested in a good high-resolution photo of a WSM chuggin' away in the snow. Maybe some other time.

Regards,
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back