2 zone grilling set up

Just got my Summit Kamado. I have only used Kingsford charcoal in the past. What is the best charcoal to use on the summit for both hot grilling and smoking? Is it lump for grilling and briquettes for smoking?
I use lump for both but there are people much more qualified than me here to give you a view! Hope you're enjoying your WSK!

Just got my Summit Kamado. I have only used Kingsford charcoal in the past. What is the best charcoal to use on the summit for both hot grilling and smoking? Is it lump for grilling and briquettes for smoking?
For direct and then to indirect (hot temp cooks) I prefer JD Lump. Clean smoke with slight sweet smell. Takes enhancement easily with other woods and a very natural, clean coal flavor.

For LAS, any briq is fine. I use KPro from Costco, B&B and Cowboy. Cowboy had a wood in it that enhances its flavor profile.

I always use the deflector on LAS cooks. Otherwise I’m using CBs on the upper coal deck in a center ring and searing over my CI sear grate or the regal Weber SS circle grate.

Hope this helps.

I'm waiting on this to be delivered. Foil the drip-pan part for easy clean up, & to direct airflow through the fuel.
Currently I'm using a couple of firebricks as a firewall, & foiled the charcoal grate up to the bricks to, again, direct airflow through the fuel.

screenshot_12.jpg

Edit: Available for 18, 22 & 26 inch kettles.

Last edited:

Back