2 odd ideas wonder if anyone has done it.

DennisM

TVWBB Pro
First,
I was thinking of spaghetti and meatballs...has anyone smoked the meatballs before adding to the sauce?

I like to make the caddillac of veal dishes, osso bucco in the winter..anyone ever tried making veal shanks on the wsm?

Dennis - I never tried either, but I like the way you think.

I'm a new fan of osso bucco. How difficult is it to cook?

Jim

Osso Bucco is easy..just take time with the braising..I make my own sauce beforehand..and serve with saffron risotto

don't know about the meatballs but for kicks
we use barbecue sauce on our spaghetti at times.
its good. saw it on some cook show.

Dennis, I have successfully used thickly-cut leftover smoked meatloaf slices, cut into cubes, as meatballs.

For what it's worth, I'd rather make smoked meatloaf once and use the leftover slices (broiled, to add a slight crust) as another entree or for sandwiches, and use more of the leftovers (if any) for meatballs.

George is right. Add some BBQ sauce to your meatball sauce (add a little BBQ sauce and then taste to see if the proportion suits you). Good Eats!

Rita

Yes, I have done it...sort of by accident. I regularly smoke hamburgers. One time I had some extra meat and rolled them into meatballs and ccoked with the burgers. Then I tossed them in the freezer. Next time we had spaghetti, I mixed them into the sauce. Family thought it was great. I was using red oak.

I smoke meat balls all the time. Like meat loaf they want them no other way. I use a ice cream scoop for forming the balls so they are pretty much the same size. For my sons grad party I did up 10lbs in matter o fminutes this way and I had like 6 left over from a party of 100. I use pepper jack high temp cheese in them and mix them in with my favorite enchilada sauce. I like it this way better then Swedish. Swedish tastes a little salty to me. I also use the cheese in meat loaf as sorted twist also.
I roll them and put them on parchment paper and usually cook at 350 which then they take like 20 minutes. I usually put my Nu-Temp thru like 3 meat balls and gauge doneness by temp. Looking at them can be a little deceiving sometimes they dont look done and then I over cooked them.

I have tried beef shanks before, but I didn't really have a recipe or anything, and I wasn't prepared for how long they would take. They were huge, and I pulled the off way before they were tender. Tasted OK, but were tough.

I stick to the kitchen with shanks now, I saw a great episode of essence of Emeril where he did a wine braised beef shank. Tried it, it was fantastic.

Back