2 Guys and a Cooler Youtube Channel

Dustin Dorsey

TVWBB Hall of Fame

I found this Youtube channel I've been watching a lot. It's some serious deep dive sausage and charcuterie stuff. I've learned some things I've been doing wrong or at the very least could improve.

Mistakes I've been making:
Not chilling meat in the freezer between each step. I do this before grinding but not always before mixing and stuffing. I would keep the meat in the fridge between grinding and the other steps. He does a video that shows what happens if you don't pay attention to temp and a ton of fat renders out. I tried to make some hotdogs recently where I did a double grind. I didn't chill between grinds and a lot of my fat smeared out.

Not paying attention to the sharpness of my grinding plates and grinding knife. My current grinder is almost brand new so it's probably not too bad but my knife looks like it could be sharpened. He has a video on sharpening them.

Using low temp dry milk powder vs. high temp.

One problem is that he's sponsored by The Sausage Maker so he pushes a lot of their products. They are a good source for a lot of things though.

I always chill the meat in the freezer, including my 5# LEM cylinder assembly. I usually make room in the freezer to accommodate a large SS bowl filled with the meat filling as well as the LEM. I place them in the freezer while the casings are soaking, 20-30 minutes. Since I usually make batches of 10 lbs. or more I just leave the meat in the freezer the entire time until I go through all of it.

I'm only had one sausage that was a complete fail and it was those hotdogs. I work pretty quickly so I probably got away with not freezing before.

To clarify I was freezing before the grind. I was also freezing the grinder parts. I just wasn't necessarily doing that before mixing or stuffing. What this guy does is check the meat with a Thermopen between steps. I never thought of doing that. I'll definitely be doing that on my next batch. His videos are really tempting into building a curing chamber but I don't think I can get my wife onboard for all that.

Back