2 Brisket question

Mike D

TVWBB Member
I am planning on cooking two briskets on Friday using the high heat method. Both briskets (flats) are approx 8lbs, although the one is somewhat thicker than the other.

Im wondering what the temp differential is between the top and bottom grates and what adjustments I should make, if any, to account for this?

Thanks in advance - Mike

You might find approx. 10 degree difference (I believe Chris addresses this on this website in one of the informational sections). You may want to move one from top to bottom about half way thru your cook. Or just be mindful of each ones temps and take off when done. They'll stay hot for hours in a dry cooler so you shouldn't have any problems with serving them both at the same meal, if that's your plan.
I would just advise on the "high heat" method to watch your internal temps closely because the briskets can go from done to overdone really quickly with the high temps. I'd shoot for about 193 internal temp (+/-) IMO.

I would take the thinner of the two and put that on the lower grate. Are you going to rest them for more that an hour if so I would take them off at 185 deg.and let the carry over heat finish them to the 193deg. That you want

If you are cooking HH do not monitor internal temps at all (or only do so before foiling (I don't bother) but not after).

Start with the thicker on the bottom. After foiling either put them both on the top, or not, if you'd prefer.

If you are cooking HH do not monitor internal temps at all (or only do so before foiling (I don't bother) but not after.

Start with the thicker on the bottom. After foiling either put them both on the top, or not, if you'd prefer.

Back