2 Boston butts cooking cold?

Stephen T

TVWBB Member
I've got a couple bone-in Boston butts in the WSM. Each is around 6.5-7 pounds. They've been going about 13.5 hours.

Around hour 11, they hit the 180s depending on where you measure. They've stayed there since. The WSM temperature on the bottom grate (butts on are top) has been in the 210-220 range most of the time. I've opened the WSM three or four times to baste & see what's going on. Coming up on 3 hours with that measurement, something seems funny.

Any suggestions? I just stirred the coals up a little, they look like they're good to go for a while yet.

Sounds to me like they're doing fine. Probably in a plateau around 180 so just be patient with them and they'll reward you later
icon_smile.gif
. It's not unusual to take several hours to go from 180 to a 195 finish. When the temp starts moving it can go fairly rapidly. Stirring the coals is a good idea so you can maintain appropriate pit temp.

Good luck to you.

Paul

Doh! Wish I read this 15 minutes ago.

I started getting nervous and took them out at hour 15 @ ~188 degrees. The last time I flipped them one darn near fell apart and I figured I would just foil them and let them sit in a cooler for a couple hours.

Now I know better for next time, thanks for the heads up.

Stephen-

Dont rush the Butts Mine take anywhere from 16-19hrs. I usually will not pull until 190-200. Also my plateu usually hits around 170 range.

Good luck next time.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stephen T:
Doh! Wish I read this 15 minutes ago.

I started getting nervous and took them out at hour 15 @ ~188 degrees. The last time I flipped them one darn near fell apart and I figured I would just foil them and let them sit in a cooler for a couple hours.

Now I know better for next time, thanks for the heads up. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
When they start falling apart they are done. Have you checked your thermometer to make sure it's accurate? Anywhere from 190 - 205 is good for butts. No worries your fine.
icon_smile.gif

FWIW I've found no reason to either baste or flip butts. Less opening of the lid keeps a consistent temp and not handling the meat avoids the falling apart issue. Now if you are talking about using both racks then that's a different issue as, assuming similar sized butts, rotation from top/bottom is something to address.

Wrapped them in foil for three hours, they came out perfect! No worries. Next time I'll wait out a higher temp, but I really can't complain given the results.

Stephen
Depending on pit temps and the butt if you cook at lower pit temps the final internal temp can be lower than 190. Always the real guide is when the meat is tender. If you flip a butt and it falls apart it's done. Internal temps like time are just guides, the feel is the test.
Jim

Back