2.6 lb Chunk of brisket flat

Mike Erdkamp

TVWBB Member
I want to smoke a chunk of brisket flat on my 22" kettle.Any tips to keep it from drying out?Looks like the butcher trimmed most of the fat off.Like to have it done for a 1pm lunch.Any ideas?? Thanks Mike

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chuck R:
Wrap it in bacon. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Haha, that's awesome!

Mike, I've been rescuing some sad little 1-2lb orphaned brisket flats from the meat counter lately. High heat is the way to go!

I follow the same basic protocol as HH for packers. Cook around 325-350 for about 2 hours, then wrap the brisket in foil (tightly sealed but with a bit of air space to collect juice), cook for another 1 to 1.5 hours, carefully open the foil and check the meat for probe/fork tender. If not ready, seal the foil and try again in 15-30 min, and repeat until tender. Then bring the meat inside, transfer to a plate, pour juice from the foil over the meat (or reserve in a cup/bowl), cover the meat loosely with foil to rest for ~ 15 min. Slice, pour juice over meat again, and BAM!

I can take credit for developing 0% of the above technique, it's just what I've learned from others here but it works for me.

EDIT: Duuuh, I just reread and noticed you said 22" kettle, not 22" WSM. I haven't smoked on a kettle but I used to do brisket on my gasser (shhhh!) and I think the same rules would probably apply... just set up your fire for indirect. Good luck man!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mike erdkamp:
If using the high heat should I still wrap in bacon. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
IMO that would be a waste of good bacon, so no.
icon_wink.gif

Well brisket been on for two hours.Kettle holding 335 or so for the entire two hours.Just probed it and reading 178 meat temp. Seemed tough so its wrapped in foil now. Got about 2 hours till lunch will probe for tenderness in about 90 min.

Back