1st WSM smoke

Branon S.

TVWBB Super Fan
I just loaded up the WSM with lump and threw on a chicken. This is my first time using it. The temps seem steady between 240-250F. It's 18F outside with a slight breeze. It came up to temp very quickly. I added a large handful of pecan chips to the top of the lump.

I prepped the chicken this morning by removing the backbone and marinading it in chicken broth, hot sauce and some weber kick'n'chicken rub. I sprinkled more rub on the underside and under the skin before putting it on the grill. I hope it's done by 10pm tonight. I'm hungry!

I'll post pics asap.

Sounds like a good first cook.

If you are using chips, foil them, they will burn up too quickly otherwise. You can make a couple pouches out of foil to seal the chips in and just put a pin hole in each to let the smoke out.

The chicken turned out pretty good. Considering it was my 1st wsm cook, it was very cold, kinda windy, and very cold. It took 4 hours for the breast to come to temp. I had to toss the thighs and legs since they weren't finished. It had plenty of smoke flavor and VERY tender and juicie. I did crank the heat up to 275 at one point but since it was cold, windy and I had no idea what I was doing they didn't stay there too long. I was using water in the pan but will get a clay saucer this weekend.

We had an ice storm last night so I'm working from home. As luck would have it I have some baby backs in the fridge so I guess I'm forced to smoke them today. Damn weather.

Branon,

You might try cooking chicken at a higher temp (350+). It will cook much faster and give you better results with the skin (crispy). You can still add wood for smoke, but I haven't found any good reason to cook chicken low and slow. Chicken is not a tough meat so there's no reason to go low and slow. Let us know how the ribs turn out and welcome to the forum.

I'll second that. I put two whole chickens on the upper grill, without the water pan, that means direct over the coals. The rendered fat dripping into the coals produces an aroma that will drive you mad with hunger. They take about 1.5 hours to cook with all vents open and one chimney of fuel. My chimney is smaller than the Weber chimney so you might need to close some of the bottom vents to stay @ 350*f.

I totally agree with both Paul and Jim. I usually cook chicken in the offset at a much higher temp. Since I was basically playing with the smoker and not preparing a meal I just wanted to see how she operated.

BB ribs are going on in an hour.

JimH, do you put the chickens in beer can style?

No beer can or rub usually I use this method tp produce chicken sandwiches (read dinner) for the week. I start with them breast down then flip them every half hour. You can tell they are done when the thigh bone wiggles in the joint easily. The method is described in the Operating Tips section and I like to call it Re-Entry Chicken as the skin browns nicely.
icon_biggrin.gif

I cook between 4 and 8 butterflied chickens a month. I cook these more than anything else on my WSM. I use a claypot base foiled and set inside my water pan. Then I crank up the heat on the smoker. I run it between 350° and 375°, Then chicken is completely cooked in about 2 hours. My wife hates BBQ'd (grilled) chicken with a passion, but she loves my smoked chicken.

Achieving these temps consistently in my smoker is the reason for this mod, that I have just made to my smoker.

I will be testing it out this weekend.

First, congrats on the 1st cook - and in cold weather, too! I agree with the previous posters. High heat rocks!! The easiest chicken recipe I've found yet is from Charcoal Grilling by Purviance.

1 5 pound whole chicken
1/4 cup plus 1 tbl spoon kosher salt
1.5 tbl spoons melted unsalted butter
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper

Save neck, giblets, wingtips for gravy.

Sprinke 1/4 cup salt on outside of chicken as well as inside the cavity. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for 2 hours.

Rinse chicken inside and out with cold water. Dry. Brush surface with butter. Season with remaining salt and the pepper.

Let chicken sit at room temp for 20 - 30 minutes.

Smoke at HIGH HEAT i.e. 350 degrees. My bullet typically locks in temperature at this range with a fully loaded chamber of hardwood charcoal and NO water in the pan. Since it's burning at full blast, I throw in a chunk of fruit wood every 30 minutes or so. Internal temp of the bird should reach about 180 at the thick part of the thigh in appprox. 1.5 - 2 hours.

Let rest for 10 minutes. The bird comes out dark brown and the skin is ALMOST crunchy. Good eats and EASY. I will try it without the water pan at some point.

Back