1st time cooking butt

Ed Rosenberger

TVWBB Member
confused:. Hey all, I am doing a pork butt on my ECB. This is a 1st attempt. Temps have been all over the place. I have the temps between 220-265 now. I put it on at 4:15am flipped at 9:00am with temp of 135. This could be the last cook with the ECB
icon_frown.gif
. I did order a WSM(from this site)
wsmsmile8gm.gif
If you have any advice that would be great.

Cheers,
Ed
Weber Gasser
ECB
and soon The WSM

Hey Ed,

Well from what you are briefly describing so far you are on your way actually.

Remember, butt is probably the most forgiving item you can cook therefore your tempurature fluctuations between 220 and 265 are not a huge concern at this point really. I have done butts anywhere from 220 all the way to 320 at different times depending upon how much time i have to cook.

Monitor the meat tempurature until you get closer to the 185 to 195 range (I am, of course, assuming you are pulling not slicing the meat) or keep testing the doneness by pulling on the bone (if bone-in of course, again with the assumptions) and then pull the butt from the smoker and double foil it. Put it in an empty cooler (or a turned-off microwave just to hold the heat a bit) and place some towels on top to hold the heat. Let rest for AT LEAST 1 hour and then pull and serve. You can realistically figure about 1 to 1.5 hours per pound but that is strictly a guideline.

Hope that helps and you will end your issues with the tempurature fluctuations when you move to your Weber!!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ed Rosenberger:

I am doing a pork butt on my ECB.

I did order a WSM(from this site)
wsmsmile8gm.gif

If you have any advice that would be great.

Ed
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The best advice that I can give you you have already done - bought a WSM. Good luck with your current cook, you'll be very happy at how well the WSM holds steady temps.

Thanks for the info
icon_smile.gif
. I did not check the accuracy the dig thermometer for the grate. The temps were 35 deg colder than the readings so, the cook took a long time but came out ok.

Cheers,
ed

Back