1st time beef jerky

aj.goldsmith

First timer with jerky, made up 3 kinds and marinated overnight: 1) teriyaki (straight from marinade bottle) 2) 50/50 Soy/Westershire Sauce with a little bit of kosher salt and garlic pow, 3) dry rub/season salt/pepper/garlic/paprika. #3 is awesome, I'll make it that way from now on. I set up the Kingsford by carefully layering 2 bricks deep for whole ring and then started with just a couple in the middle. 3 pieces of Hickory. It held right around 150 until I took it off at 5 hours. The accessories cost me $2 for 4 metal skewers at Walmart, $1.50 for "S" hooks at Lowes, 2 hooks per skewer from the upper rack. Next time I want to try making chicken or turkey jerky, looking for recipes now. Great stuff while golfing or hiking!

Thanks Jeff, it's real easy to set up. Probably could put 10# on there, I cut it into 6-8" slices and removed the lower rack so there was plenty of hanging room. One thing I did learn is that there should be a space around each piece. One of those skewers was too crowded. Happy smoking.

Back