1st Pork Butt Frustration

ChristopherB

I smoked my first pork butt last weekend. So far, I have done chicken, ribs, turkey legs and Tri Tip. I have never put water in the pan. Instead, I use a clay saucer. First, let me say that the pork turned out magnificent. Tender and moist, with good bark, and amazing smokey flavor. My family thinks I am a Pitmaster.

So, why am I frustrated? It's because I don't know whether to trust my Maverick thermometer or the dome unit, since there was a good 50 degree difference between the two during the entire 2nd half of the cook. The problem started at the 4-hour mark when I turned the meat and stoked the coals.(I was using the Minion method for the first time). At that point, the Maverick shot up to 280 - 310 and remained there, while the dome thermometer registered under 250 for the whole time. The meat actually did not finish early, so I'm assuming that the dome unit was the more accurate, but why? I tried the Maverick at both grill-level and suspended through the lid vent with the same result. I have also calibrated both thermometers, and they are both dead-on. My next smoke will be an overnight brisket, so I really need to know that I can trust my readings. Any ideas?

If more heat was rising on one side of the smoker, thermometer position would make a difference. Next time, I'd turn the lid so the lid thermometer and remote probe were in different positions and see what affect that had.

Sounds about rite, You just stoked the coals and added more oxygen to the fuel. The Mav placed in the exhaust of the top vent was giving you a reading in that location. The dome is giving you a reading in it's location and is not affected by the exhaust. I never temp at the grate so no hep on that.
Which one is more accurate, I dunno but just pick one and stick with that.
You love the results using the dome so...:wsm:

Tim

What do you mean stoked the coals. Intentionally or the result of taking the lid off to flip. I find with the saucer, spikes are temporary with the bottom vents shut. As a last resort you can close your top to 50% for short times to bring back down, especially if you are not puffing out heavy smoke

But with all that said, no need to turn the meat. Go fat down and enjoy when done

I trust my ET-732's meat probe as the definative reading.

Cool and that's good for whole poultry, loins and roasts which you want to take to a specific temp. But the OP mentioned a butt, which like a brisket should be cooked till probe tender. Internals will get you into the ball-park for when to probe for tenderness.:wsm:

Tim

IMHO the stock Weber thermometer is located in a dead air space hence the different in temps. My WSM always shows 30-50 degrees difference in dome thermometer and 732 probe in vent. Why Weber doesn't relocate the stock thermometer is puzzling to me.

IMHO the stock Weber thermometer is located in a dead air space hence the different in temps. My WSM always shows 30-50 degrees difference in dome thermometer and 732 probe in vent. Why Weber doesn't relocate the stock thermometer is puzzling to me.

Well, that's exactly what I have been experiencing from day one. It's hard to believe that a few inches could result in a difference of 50 degrees. So, it would seem that I should be deferring to the Maverick. Would the dome be any more accurate if I rotated the lid to a different position?

You are crying poor, if you had a good butt celebrate and move on. Thermostats are over rated for everything except sirloin tp and other beef roasts. Bone wiggle for the butt, thigh wiggle for the bird, 1/4 inch shrink and bend test for the ribs and you are good to go.

You are crying poor, if you had a good butt celebrate and move on. Thermostats are over rated for everything except sirloin tp and other beef roasts. Bone wiggle for the butt, thigh wiggle for the bird, 1/4 inch shrink and bend test for the ribs and you are good to go.

I understand and I agree, but in order to be able to predict what time dinner will be ready, you need reliable information on cooker temperature, otherwise, you're going to have annoyed family / guests.
A difference of 50 degrees on a long cook could mean that dinner will be ready either a lot sooner or a lot later than planned.

If you like to read do a search on "temp difference"
There's like 20 pages and mixed in is quite a few posts that mirror yours.

Tim

Well said!

There are so many changing variables using different heat sinks. Pick one & learn how to use it with a therm of some sort in one position however internal temps are important too! That's a second prob or meat therm!

If you like to read do a search on "temp difference"
There's like 20 pages and mixed in is quite a few posts that mirror yours.

Tim

Well, it looks like I'm not alone. Sorry to boor you all with the same old retread. I guess I'm on the right track after all. Thanks for all your replies.

Boring? No, not at all.
Just thought you would like to read up and make your own analysis.:wsm:

Tim

Back