1st packer/1st rancher

J Graz

TVWBB Super Fan
Well I finally got around to getting my first packer going. Trader Joes also finally got there load of charcoal in so I went with it. That charcoal is awesome. I went 14hrs with a full ring minion and still had some left over. much less ash also. I think I'm there to stay. Now all I have to do is stock up. Anyway on to the brisket. I went smaller with this one (12lb) but it still went end-end so I placed a piece of foil undr the end which I removed later. I cooked at about 250* Flat got pulled at about 190*(probe in like butta). Point back on. for a couple more hrs. Here are a couple of sliced up pics.
100_3705.jpg

100_3704.jpg

My only problem was the point. Seperation was a snap. But I not sure I rendered enough for the burnt ends. This being my first time doing so I think I pulled it off too early. Are you supposed to render all the fat out or only some. While it tasted incredible it still had a large amount of fat. Next time I thinking I gonna pull with the flat and make chili. Thanks for looking.
Graz

Holy COW J, that is one AWSOME looking brisky!

Nice smoke ring and it looks juicy as well!

Great job! Bet your hooked on brisket now
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Nice brisket J!

With burnt ends you want to cook the point until tender and pretty well rendered. Then cube and sauce or simmer in sauce if desired. You don't want to render until the point there's no fat, but you do want to render as much as you can, as the point is 50% fat. That is also why it's the tastiest part of the brisket! FAT = FLAVOR!

Although smoked brisket point is fantastic in chili, don't give up on making burnt ends, you won't be disappointed once you get them to your liking!

Very nice looking brisket. A 12 lb brisket is my ideal size.

Yea Rancher is the bomb isn't it. As you say Stock-up as you'll regret not down the road. He'll, I had around 40 of the 20lb bags and regretted not buying more.

I usually throw my points back on for another 3 hours, seems to be the magic number for me.

J, that is one great looking brisket. Congrats. I hope the one I'm doing tonight looks that good.
<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">FAT = FLAVOR!</span> I should get that tatooed on my arm...

that looks great what kind of rub did you use? Walmart only had one brisket this morning and it was just a hair under 12 pounds but the flat looked pretty thin so i will go back tonight to see if they put more out. they are up to $2.28/pound there now
icon_frown.gif
used to be $1.78

Thanks guys for all the compliments. Could not have done it without the forum.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tony C.:
that looks great what kind of rub did you use? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Tony here is my go to for beef. bigger badder beef rub

One of the best looking Briskets I have seen. Nice Job! As for the Point, I think a couple of more hours would have done the trick.

Walmart almost always has more in the back. I find them to be quite willing to pull out more for me to look at if the selection on the floor is not satisfactory. Just ask.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill_W:
Walmart almost always has more in the back. I find them to be quite willing to pull out more for me to look at if the selection on the floor is not satisfactory. Just ask. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yes, but there are no meat people there at 6:00am
icon_smile.gif
i like to get there early if i plan to go as i'm not a people person. well walmart people that is. i did find a very nice 11 pounder at 6 this morning though. nice looking point with a nice sized even thickness flat.

Back