1st overnighter, 1st use of ET-73, couple questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirk J

TVWBB Member
Thanks to this forum, a huge success. Started with 2 7 lb butts, and the minion method, full charcoal ring and 20 hot briqs at 10 pm Friday. Had everything under control by 11, watched to 11:30 and went to bed. Was woke up at 2:15....temp had hit 275. Shut things down a bit, and temp started to drop. Since it was my first overnighter, watched it for awhile and less than 1/2 hour later had settled back in to the 250 range. Got up at 6:00 and temp was down to 218 (alarm was set for 215). Opened the vents a little, stirred the coals, made the mop, mopped and was back in bed by 6:30 and slept till 8:30. Perfect! Ended up having to add some unlit briqs later,... Also later for some reason temp got away from me.....280. All I can figure is the wind was gusting pretty good. I was using the outer vent for the most control, and it faced the wind. Shut all vents down, and in a little while all was well. Had some ups and downs but nothing too serious. Didn't pull the butts till 4:30....18 hours! One was at 196 and the other at 200. Let them sit an hour and they just mushed in my hands. My guests ate until they were in pain.... When it comes to football, beer and pork.. Spicey Mr Brown is everybodys favorite. They just kept going back for more...forget the sauce, and forget the bread...they just wanted pork. Really happy with the ET-73 as well. Did it's job. Then to top it off the Huskers won (wasn't pretty, but still a win).
So, my questions.
When adding briqs do most people add them unlit or lit? With the large brinkman pan seems like it would be hard to get lit ones in.
I want to use sand next time..... are people using the brinkman pan with sand or the original?
Is it normal to run out of fuel at about 12 hours? I always seem to.
Thanks again for all the help.

Hi Kirk,

I use sand in the stock pan and it works quite well. I fill it to a couple inches from the top and cover the sand with foil -real easy clean up!
As for adding coals, it depends on what your heat is doing. If the temps are falling and not coming back up by using the vents then I add lit coals from a chimney but if I want to be sure to just maintain heat and I can see that fuel is starting to get low I add unlit. Kinda vague but it really depends on what the cooker is doing and how long I'm cooking.

HTH Dave

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> When adding briqs do most people add them unlit or lit? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Depends on what's happening and where you are in the cooking process.

Unlit takes energy to startup.

If you determine you need the extra fuel and catch it soon enough, you could just toss a few on as needed. You may notice a slight drop but you should be able to make it up over time.

But, if you are marginally holding temp or fighting a falling temp, adding unlit may just make things worse.

In such cases, it just might be faster/better to startup 10~20 in the chimney.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>With the large brinkman pan seems like it would be hard to get lit ones in.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>It's not really a problem. I use cheapo BBQ tongs (~$1) and just toss them in one or two at a time. With practice you can do it quickly and still be careful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back