1st overnight - SUCCESS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob Provost

TVWBB Fan
I did an 8 lb butt per Mr. Brown's recipe. I rubbed it down at 4:00pm Friday and put it on the smoker at 11:00pm. Smoker lit via Minion Method. Of course since this was the first overnighter I stayed up until 1:30am making sure it was stable. When I went to bed the dome temp was 248.

I got up at 6:00am to check the temp (was planning on getting up earlier but that didn't happen). It was at 233. Gotta love this thing. Went back to bed to catch a couple more Z's before the kids got up. That only lasted until 7:30.

It was a very nice day on Saturday with temps reaching 80+ and no wind. I had to close the vents down to keep the temp below 250. At 11:00am I checked the butt temp - 160. At 4:00 the smoker temp was dropping so I checked the charcoal to give them a stir. Not many coals left so I added a chimney of charcoal (not lit).
Temp started to come up and so was the butt.

Real slow temp rising in the butt until 185. Once it hit 185 it took about an hour to reach 195.

Total cook time -- 19 hours! And worth every minute. Served with hamburger buns, homemade slaw and cornbread. Came out fantastic. I wish I had a digital camera for some pics! My neighbor came sniffing around at 4:00 asking what was cooking. So of course I brought her over some that night. She called while eating it to compliment me! And I quote, "You da' man!" I told her not to repeat that to her husband.

Thanks to all on this board for your support and especially Chris for managing this site. I couldn't do it without you. Well at least not this good and this soon. I've only had the WSM for less than a year!

Congrats, Rob! Sounds good. My last overnighter didn't fare so well, but that was due to severe brain cramps....

R

Rob,

It's great when it works, isn't it? The more you do overnighters the easier they get. I've taken to starting mine a little earlier, say around 9:00 p.m., to ensure that whatever I'm cooking will definitely be done in plenty of time for dinner the next day.

Rich,

Care to share the story? Come on, there's nothing like a good disaster story; it makes the rest of us feel better about our own!

Rick

Congrats Rob. Mr Brown wins again. If you want a quick cook, try the meatloaf. My family still talk about it. I made one with just a basic home recipe, but next time I will use more hickory,

Rob,

U R Da Man.
After giving some away, if your neigbors are like my neighbors, every time they smell the smoke in the future, they will be xtra friendly/neighborly and come by "to just see how you are doing"

Ain't it somethin how the salivating smell of smoke and the bestowment of free, delicious WSM cue makes people friendly? LOL

Mike

Rob,
I'm planning to do my first overnite "Mr. Brown" butt this Sat. with the method, etc...Did you mop yours regularly or just let it go? I'm wondering, to keep the temps stable, if it's better not to open the lid too much for mopping.

Dale,

I was thinking about trying a meatloaf. You just gave me inspiration. That maybe tried this weekend.

Erich,

I did mop it three times. First at about 9 hours, then twice after that. I was opening the smoker anyway to check the temp or flip the meat so I thought I might as well mop. I didn't notice any drastic temp swings after opening the lid. But it was a very calm day. Go for it Erich! You won't be disappointed!!

I brought the last of the butt in for lunch to work yesterday and gave taste to my boss (I talked him into a WSM last year). He said it was fantastic. I am hoping for a good raise this year!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back