1st meat loaf

J Rector

TVWBB Super Fan
Hello Everyone

I just tried my first meatloaf.I started with way to many coals temp spiked to 314 but i got it back down.I tried the recipe in the owners manual. The wife said it was good but wheres the smoke flavor?Unsure why it didn't take any smoke it was on almost 3hrs and I used 3 lg chunks of hickory.Is this normal for meat loaf.I would appreciate any ideas.

Thanks
Jeff

Did you have it in a pan? Did you remove it from the pan during the cook? Meatloaf takes smoke really well. I usually start with it in a disposable pan. About 1/2 hour into the cook, I dump it out of the pan (it will hold its shape now) and continue cooking until done. Always has a good smoke taste.

Hey Nick

Maybe thats where I went wrong.I left it in the pan the whole time.I followed the directions in the book .I usually do that before I head off in another direction.I'll try that next time.The wife did like it except for the no smoke part.

Thanks for the suggestion
Jeff

Someone (Shawn W. I believe) posted some time back that he placed his meatloaf on parchment paper and discovered that the parchment was so porous that the meatloaf had a smoke ring even where it sat on the parchment. I have since done all my meatloafs that way and find it really does make a difference! Check it out next time.

Oh, and I have a ditto on Robert's comment about using cherry. I have to agree that cherry is an excellent wood to use for meatloaf (and chicken, too).

i put mine right on the grate.
icon_smile.gif

I use a disposable pan with lots of holes poked in it. Drains the fat and gets plenty of smoke flavor. I like to brush the top with BBQ sauce a couple times during the last half hour the cook.

Thats totally different than what happens when I smoke a meatloaf. Everybody says they are too smokey but I like them that way. I dont have but one answer for you and that is use more wood.

I found this disposable aluminum grate at Wal Mart. Its the size of a pizza pan. Here are the grates when I cooked some meatballs.
Grates.
I flatten out the meatloaf and it takes smoke on all sides. Dont have to worry about moving it or it falling apart. Very Very good.

Louie,
I've seen those disposable grates at Walmart & thought they would work great for meatloaf.
BTW, it looks like one of the meatballs was trying to escape.
icon_biggrin.gif

That one meatball was my test subject. I wanted to see if the meatball would keep its shape and how difficult it would be to turn on the large grate. There was no difference between the two grates.

I was concerned about the meatloaf being too smokey. I placed some sliced onions and tomatoes on top then covered it all with bacon. When I pulled off the meatloaf, the bottom had a nice pink smoke ring and the top still had a ring but it didnt penetrate into the meat as much.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeff rector:
Hello Everyone

I just tried my first meatloaf.I started with way to many coals temp spiked to 314 but i got it back down.I tried the recipe in the owners manual. ... 3hrs and I used 3 lg chunks of hickory.Is this normal for meat loaf.I would appreciate any ideas. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Jeff,

Given your initial temp spike and too many lit coals perhaps what happened is that most or all of your smoke wood burnt up quickly, was consumed by fire instead of slowly smoking away.

Not sure if three hours sounds right or not, how big was the meatloaf? Size and shape can make a big difference. I do mine fairly flat like a giant hamburger patty.

About the pan or foil/parchment, I think it depends how wet your meatloaf is. I don't add a lot of liquids to mine, I could just plunk them down on the grate. If yours is really wet you may need to start it off in the pan like you did.

Shawn

Did my first meatloaf today. I thought I would just add on to this one.

I used an round aluminum pizza pan with holes in it. Why use disposable, when I have the perfect pan already?

Well, clean up that's why. Next time, disposable with punched holes in it for me.

I first cooked with water and then tried sand. It takes practice, but the ease of clean up is worth it.

I almost forgot, the meatloaf is great.

I think I am going to try it free standing with the pan underneath it. Maybe get more smoke into it.
Glad you liked it, always good to hear that!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I've had my WSM since July 2004. I have made brisket, ribs, pork butt, chicken, turkey and now meatloaf. I started off using water in the pan and then moved on to sand. Sand in the pan cleanup is easier than water. I now am a Guru guy. Clean up is even easier.

Thank you VWBB, I couldn't have done it without you.

Has anyone used the Brinkman meatloaf basket? A sort of meat loaf shape made of a nickel plated wire mesh.

I can't decide whether to buy one or not...

Andrew

Back