1st hot & fast brisket

Agreed.
I did add a chunk of pecan not too long before wrapping, and got a nice blast of smoke. I was nervous about using more, or anything stronger. I always err on the side of caution when it comes to the smoke.
Agreed. I have had brisket with no detectable smoke flavor, and it was delicious. I have also had some that was way oversmoked, and it tasted like an ashtray.

I’ve been doing the Harry Soo smoke wood UNDER coal set up and have been very, very pleased with the results. Just another little trick that has worked for me.
That's a great idea. I can see it being easier than spreading the chunks around the perimeter, and hoping that they don't catch fire too quickly.

Thanks for sharing!

That's a great idea. I can see it being easier than spreading the chunks around the perimeter, and hoping that they don't catch fire too quickly.

Thanks for sharing!
My pleasure but, the tip of the hat goes to Harry Soo really. I have fallen in love with using barrel stave smoke wood (bourbon/merlot) from Fruitawood Is what I have “in stock“ right now. I was gifted a bag of Scotch barrel staves from a member that was eye opening!

My pleasure but, the tip of the hat goes to Harry Soo really. I have fallen in love with using barrel stave smoke wood (bourbon/merlot) from Fruitawood Is what I have “in stock“ right now. I was gifted a bag of Scotch barrel staves from a member that was eye opening!
Nice!
I was gifted a pack of barrel staves from Maker's Mark, that I use occasionally. Next go around, I'll use some of those too.

Great job! I was gonna try this on a Wagyu brisket a few of us chipped in to buy so I don't want to screw it up. Not sure how different the process would be with Wagyu. Any thoughts?

Do you think you'd have the same results with the water pan removed until you wrap? Maybe rotate the grate every 1/2 hour or so. Also, better with briquettes than lump? Thanks.

Do you think you'd have the same results with the water pan removed until you wrap? Maybe rotate the grate every 1/2 hour or so. Also, better with briquettes than lump? Thanks.
Don't have a clue. I leave the water pan in, (double wrapped w/foil with a small airspace between the layers), all the time. I never put water in it.

Back