1st ever ABT's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cy Robinson

R.I.P 3/14/2017
Posted this on the "grill" forum but something went wrong so I will try again here. I'm still waiting for the egg money to accumulate for my WSM and in the meantime I'm learning more about how my grill works.

This morning I put together 24 ABT's (12 Jalapenos). They turned out great!! My family and I thought they were good but then they are the first we've ever had so we have no basis for comparison.

I have a couple of questions:
1. Are ABT's good warmed up? If so, how is the best way to do that?
2. Is there a preferred way the ingredients go together? I put the meat on first (left over brisket), then the cream cheese, and finally the bacon.

Placed all 24 on a rack over a throw away aluminium pan and put them on the grill (Coleman 3000, gas). Put my old oven thermo on the corner of the grate and checked it about 25 minutes later. It was right at 260*F - closed the lid and didn't raise it for another 40 minutes. At that time (end of cook) the thermo read 270*F. Total cook was 65 minutes.

I want to thank you of the forum for all the help you have been over the past 4 months. Sometimes I think you have collective ESP. /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif I start wondering about something and the next thing I know someone posts about that subject. Thanks.

I'll will surely let you know when I order my WSM. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif In the meantime don't stop loving one another!

Hi Cy, I couldn't tell you if they're any good reheated 'cause we always eat them all! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
If I had to try it though, I'd probably put them in a pyrex-type dish, or even a cookie sheet, and loosly cover with foil. Probably put them in a warm (175-200*) oven for 15 minutes maybe, then check to see how they're coming along. As far as assembly order, I don't think it matters. I put my pork or brisket on top of the cream cheese, but I don't see where it matters. All I know is they're GOOD!

Thank you Rob,
We would have eaten them if we had not just had a big brfst of bisquits and gravy. Also our daughter had to go to work.

Wil try your suggestion tonite when she gets home.

Interesting how your handle is Rob B. I was called Robbie for years, in fact it is on my high school diploma. C. Y. are my initials and somebody looked at my signature one day and said, in front of several others, "Glad to know you Cy" and I have been Cy ever since.

Thanks again for the advice.

We just eat 'em cold ... right out of the fridge. If we want to take the chill off, 15 seconds in the microwave. Not too much or the cream cheese will goo all over the place.

I'll jump on here and say I made my second batch of ABT's tonight. My first batch were per the usual recipe, but tonight I did a couple variations. I did one batch with ground chorizo sausage, cream cheese, and pineapple. The others were chorizo, fresh cilantro, and mozarella. I wrapped all of them in prosciutto instead of bacon since I wanted something leaner. They were excellent.

Forgive my ignorance but what is an ABT (I assume some sort of stuffed pepper!)?
Where can I find the recipe?

Missed the acronym class,
Steve

Steve, it stands for Atomic Buffalo Turd. Here's a current discussion on them in the recipe section. In the most basic sense, it's a halfed length-wise jalapeno, deveined and de seeded, packed with some cream cheese and a small chunk of bbq'ed pork/beef on top. Wrap it with half a slice of bacon, and smoke till the bacon is crisped. Very addictive, and very labor intensive.

Steve H...ABT is Atomic Buffalo Turds. Jalpeno or Anahiem chile cut in half lengthwise, then stuffed with cream cheese, your smoked meat of choice, maybe some spices, maybe a little honey, then wrapped in bacon and cooked in the WSM for about an hour or until the bacon is done.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rob B.:
[qb] Very addictive, and very labor intensive. [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Right on both counts. The first time I made 50 of them for an office party. Wrapped that bacon nice and tight. When it cooked, it shrunk. When it shrunk, it squeezed all the chese right out of the peppers. What a freakin' mess! However, they were all gone within 10 minutes of serving.

I also cooked my first ABTs this afternoon. I used Mike's recipe (the one with honey). It called for 2 lbs, but I used 1 lb and halfed the recipe. Ended up with 24 ABTs, more than enough for my wife, my neighbor and myself. Started with 1/2 chimney of lit briquettes over a few half or more burned pieces from the last cook. Put the peppers on at 200. dropped to 160 after having the lid off, opened the vents a little until it hit 220, shut them all and it held at 225 fpr a little while. As I like a strong smoke taste, I used a large piece of hickory with two smaller pecan chunks. I stirred the coals every time the smoke stopped rolling, so I had up and down temps from 220 to 235. After one hour, lifted the lid for the first time. Bacon was brown, but wife needed a few minutes to heat the BBQ we had made from spare ribs yesterday. Shut down all the lower vents to let the temp drop while we waited. Another 15 minutes pulled them out. You guys 'n gals haven't been exaggerating when you describe how good they are. These were even better, if that is possible. This forum is about to make an accomplished chef out of me!

Thanks to all,
Smokin' Jim in NC

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jim Knight:
[qb] I also cooked my first ABTs this afternoon. I used Mike's recipe (the one with honey). This forum is about to make an accomplished chef out of me!

Thanks to all,
Smokin' Jim in NC [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Jim, glad I could be of help. You stick around here and you'll have people beggin for you to cook for them. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif I almost alway's make a great big batch of ABT'S every time I barbecue. I like to put them together the night before. I also like to snack on them later in the evening when we take a break from the late night guitar jamin'. Keep up the good work.

Thanks Mike,
I followed your receipe exactly, even to the overnight in the refrige. The only fault I found with the ABTs was a little too mild. The leftovers were put in the frige and microwaved the next evening. They sure picked up some heat during the process.

Thanks again,
Smokin' Jim in NC

I want to make these (bought the peppers today) but have no leftover meat..next cook will probably be ribs..any suggestions, thanks.

Hey Mike,

I just wanted to say thanks for sharing your recipe. I made these two weeks ago on the grill and they were GREAT.

Robert

David,

I've made these a few times without any meat besides the bacon wrapper, and they came out just fine. Just like those with meat in them, I've never had any left over.

Rick

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jim Knight:
[qb] Thanks Mike,
The only fault I found with the ABTs was a little too mild. Thanks again,
Smokin' Jim in NC [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Jim, I know what you mean. I have found that store bought jalapenos are very inconsistent. Some have a nice kick and some are very mild. If you want to kick them up put some cayanne or habinero powder into the cream cheese mixture.

David, as far as I'm concerned meat is optional. Sometimes I add some chopped up little smokies. The last time I made them I added my smoked venison sausage. venison sausageJust be creative and add what ever you like. Cooking is all about making it to your liking.
I'm thrilled that ya'll had sucess with my recipe. All I did was vary the exsisting recipe and you should do the same. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I experimented last night. I made some without meat, some with meat, and some with allot of meat. I also got some different peppers to try (can't think of the name right off).

I had about 10 different ones to try when I was all done. I cut them up a bit and the 5 of us (wife, son, 2 daughters) tried em. I had to try first for fire control and most avoided the 2 fire hot jalapenios.

The kids really liked the ones with allot of meat in them (the others are too cheesey dad).

I loved everything, and the wife loved everything but the hot ones.

I've started vaccum sealing small bags of pork right after a smoke is done. I now have about 4 bags in the freezer so I can make ABTs any time on short notice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back