1st cook officially underway

John G. G.

My first cook is officially underway. I have 3 racks of spare ribs and 1 whole chicken going. I rubbed one slab with Dizzy Pig Swamp Venom, 1 with Emeril's rib rub and one with the BRITU rub. I used KC Chicken seasoning on the chicken.
So far I learned that trimming spare ribs to St. Louis style is not as easy as the video made it look (at least not yet).

Right on!

Pic's or it never happened!
icon_razz.gif

John,you gotta go to St. Louis to get the trim right, at least thats what I heard!!!! After a couple it will be like riding a bike. Wear a helmet.
Let us know how she turns out...

Mark

Pulled them off after about 5 1/2 hours. I think the chicken cooked a little long but it was still good and very tender. The ribs were tender but I thought the bark was a little tuff. Everyone really seemed to enjoy them but I would only give them a C. Just not enough taste for me. I'll throw up some pics a little later.

John we are always our own worst critics. I get downright paranoid sometimes when people are saying my food is great but I don't believe them. I always try to invite at least one person that I know will tell me it sucks and not to try to be polite. Luckily they have never said that to me even when I thought things weren't up to my standards.

Bob , I agree I'm my own worst critic. Always ask a friend to taste who doesn't mince words and opinions when it comes to cooking. If she gives it a good I know I'm on the right track.I hope
icon_rolleyes.gif

I really couldn't tell much difference between the swamp venom rub and Emeril's rib rub. I didn't get to taste much of the BRITU rub because it was all gone. I'm thinking I was a little to conservative with the rub or I should put it in and let it sit for several hours. I'll just keep working on it till I get it right.

John, congrats on your bird and ribs. Flavor profiles are a hard one to crack. Comp teams work years on development. What I think is especially hard is the taste of the rub before you put it on and the taste of the meat after it is cooked. One of the fun things of BBQ is that you always have a chance to get it better, at least to you. Sounds like the folks loved it.

Happy Smokin'

Mark

Back