1st Cook, New 18" Smokey Mountain

Jim Henderson

Hello Gang, I'm a new poster in SO Cal with a long 1st post. Wife bought me an 18" Smokey Mountain for Christmas from Amazon. Did not expect to receive it yet, but got here Fri 12-19. Had to do some ribs to break it in.
2 slabs spares 10.5# total. Removed membrane, rubbed with mustard and faked a rub with 1cup taco seasoning and 1/4 cup brown sugar. Rubbed and sat while cooker was warming. Setup minion using Kingsford with 1 chimney full in a donut around the hot chimney, 1/2 full, to start it off. When the starter 1/2 was grey and hot, dumped into the donut and threw on about 1/2 chimney of mesquite lump, mostly fines. Pan 2/3 full of water, warmed smoker about an hour to 225F and put in the ribs 1 top 1 bottom. Loaded bones down, 2 vents 1/2 open, no touch 3 1/2 hours. Temp slowly rose to 250+. At 3 1/2 hr, added 4c hot water, switched slabs top and bottom, mopped with fruit juice and a little vinegar. Temp still running hot, after 1 more hour cut back to 1 vent 1/2 open. At 5 hour mark small bones pass twist test but meat still tough. Insert meat therm set for 200. Mop every 1/2 hour. At 6 1/2 hours hit both with dry rub again, open 2 vents full to finish. Cook temp just under 250F. Ribs removed at 630PM (7hrs) and 188F int temp. Ribs very tasty and internal meat very tender, however, way too crusty and too many burnt ends. Did a little post mortem research here on the board and discovered spareribs need 3bare/2foil/1bare hours. But, I think more time would be necessary to tenderize. Maybe more time in foil? Not at all a bad start. Dinner guest still ate them all.

welcome to the board Jim!! 7 hours at 250 for spares seems a tad long to me. mine usually take 5.5-6 hours at 235.

Jim,

Welcome to the board and you are going to love your WSM. Any question you may have, this is the place to come. The 3-2-1 works well on ribs and should get the tenderness you were looking for. If your temps were running high, you may want to think about less lit up front. I can start with 12-15 lit in the chimney and easily hold the 225-250 temp you are looking for with the Minion Method. Sounds great though. Glad you were successful on your first cook.

Bob

Welcome Jim!

For some reason, the first cook in a new WSM is always HOT! I think I screwed ribs up on my first WSM cook.

I tend to do ribs around 225, generally 4-5 hours bare, 1 hour foil and 30 min to 1 hour bare w/ finishing sauce.

Welcome to the board Jim and congrats on your first cook. Your comment "too many burnt ends" sounds like the spares were hanging out in the hot zone for too long. When cooking spares (or any long piece of meat) you have to remember that the heat coming up around the water pan is very hot. Any meat hanging out in that zone (the hot zone) will cook way faster than the meat that is shielded by the water pan. You can put some foil under the ends that are in the hot zone to help block that heat
icon_wink.gif
The great thing is you get to try again, and again, and...
icon_biggrin.gif
I never foil my ribs.

Thanks for all the comments. Tony, do you monitor meat temp on a straight 3/2/1? Bryan, I think that is a good point, a rib rack, or I saw a tip to roll them and skewer the end will keep them out of the hot zones. The fact I could do as well right out of the box means a few tips from you guys and some tweaking we ought to have some awesome meat in the future!

Back