1st Butt

D Brazil

TVWBB Member
OK, I've purchased a Butt from SAMS. The package weighs about 15/16 Lbs. I'm thinking it is in 2 pieces at 8LBs per but hard to tell without opening it. I plan to smoke it this weekend. Crazy question - I've read 1.5 hours per LB can be expected, so if it really is a 16 lb butt will it take 24 hours? or if I cut it in half can I cook both pieces in 12 hours?? I'm thinking the latter of the two.
Anyway here is my plan and tell me if this sounds about right...
Smoker temp will be between 225-250 degrees, Smoke the meat approximately 12 hours or until internal temps are around 190-195 degress and tender. Take butts out and wrap in HD Foil for at least 1 hour before pulling.
I will probably use a combination of Hickory, Apple & Cherry wood. I also plan to throw on 3 racks of skinned baby backs on the top grate with 5-6 hours left on the cook.
All meats to be marinated and rubbed.
Thoughts... Suggestions...
Thanks for reading

Never bought meat at a Sam's but that should be 2 butts. When I get whole shoulders they are usually around 18 pounds.

Your plan looks good, I just have a couple suggestions.

1: Give yourself some more time, you can always wrap it and hold in a cooler if it is done early. This will take some of the stress out of worrying if things are going to be done on time if you have company.

2: Done temps are just a guide. Make sure you probe for done and don't just pull it off because it's at 190.

Besides that just have fun with it.

Thanks much for the reply Bob. Just to be sure exactly what do you mean by "Make sure you probe for done and don't just pull it off because it's at 190" Are you probing with a temp gauge or just a fork to check for tenderness/doneness ???

On pork butts the easiest way to tell is to grab hold of the bone (assuming you're cooking bone-in butts) and give it a pull. If it comes out clean it's done.
As a general rule, stick a probe into any meat and it should feel like it's going in butter. An ice pick works great for this.
We buy Sam's all the time and yes, it will be 2 butts.
Like Bob said, allow your self extra time because sometimes you get a piece of meat that is stubborn.

My first smoked butts were from Sams as well and the weight was about the same. I smoked them at about 215-220 for about 10 hours, and interestingly enough it was 11 degrees at night. started about 11:00 p.m. pulled them off at 190 about 9:00 a.m. and rested for an hour. I did have to add k sometime in the night but it was very cold. Every smoke is different....Good Luck!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I want to thank everyone for giving me some feedback. This will actually be (2) 1st for me because I'll be using my new Maverick thermometer also. Just looked at the package and saw that it actually weighs in at a whopping 19 lbs and is called a Pork Shoulder Boston Butt. I'll plan to put her on a little earlier to adjust for the weights and keep everything in mind that people have mentioned - Thanks again

I have bought that same package from Sam's before. It's two butts. Putting one on the top and one on the bottom, they have taken anywhere from 12-15 hours to cook for me.

Sorry I didn't see your reply question. Your meat thermometer makes a good probe, should go in like it's going through warm butter. I use a fork, stab it in and if it goes in easy I'll give a twist to see how easy it breaks apart.

The earlier start time is just to relieve the stress of the cook.

Make sure to let us know how it works out.

Put my Butts on around 5:30am and took off around 5:30pm. Had a hard time keeping the heat down in 225-235 range but ended up smoking most of the day around 240 to 250 degrees. When I took off the butts the meat was at 185 degrees. They pulled apart nicely and the meat is very moist. Smoked it with apple/cherry & hickory. Overall very happy with the way things turned out. Also smoked 3 racks of baby backs, they were the best - wow! perfectly done, only took 4 1/2 hours for them. This smoker is so much more efficient than my old brinkmans - it took 7-8 hours to do get my ribs like that using the cheap-o's!

Back