1st Brisket-have a question

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Good Afternoon,

Just got my smoker this weekend (yeah). Put on a 8.5lb. brisket that i put a basic bbq rub on the night before. the smoker kept a temp of 225-260 throughout. i couldn't believe the smoker was that consistent. i had to add extra briquets at the 5hr. mark. i couldn't find kingsford so i had to use a supermarket brand. don't know if that was why. the only problem was that it was only the outside 1-1.5 inches of the brisket all the way around that got the really nice crunchy crust to it. the whole center section on the outside was a little wetter than i would have liked. the flavor and color was fine and when i cut it open it had a nice red smoke ring around the the whole of the brisket.
has anyone else had this happen? is there a way i can get a nice crispy crust on the whole brisket without totally drying it out? thanks in advance for your help. i am sure i will be asking quite a few more questions as i own this beauty longer. my next project is a pulled pork.

I for one like my brisket not crusty. I like it moist on the outside as well as the inside. But to answer your question, use a spray bottle with apple juice and spray it about every 1/2 3/4 hour. The suger in the apple juice will turn the outside black and give you that crust you want. Hope this helps.
Bill

Bill,

thanks for the suggestion. i actually picked up some apple juice but i didn't have a spray bottle to use it. will have to pick one up. it's interesting about people's taste's. i always liked my food a little overdown.

No problem. I just pulled two off the smoker @195 deg internal and now they are in a cooler basting in their own juices. I will let them hold for two hours while I make the rest of dinner.

Hi hoppr, and welcome to the bulletin board!

One small point...please read this topic about display name.

If you have any questions or concerns, please click "Contact Us" at the bottom of the page and send me an e-mail.

Thanks for your attention to this matter,
Chris

I'm with Bill...on brisket I like it to be tender all the way around...pork butt is a different matter...me likes the bark on the butt.

Do as Bill says with the AJ and you will be in beef bark heaven!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back