1st attempt at pulled pork a success!

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Well, following the good advice given by Mike Chavez, Big Ir, Sonny Jordan and Dave Lewis, I used the Minion Method overnight Friday/Saturday to do my first Eastern NC-style pulled pork. The results were fantastic! Here's a quick photo of the finished Q, and you can find a full write-up with photos at http://tinyurl.com/mk1i

Also, many thanks to everyone who's contributed to the Virtual Weber Bullet site; the info I've found here has made my first two times out with the WSM successes!

-Richard

P9070002s.JPG

Richard,

Looks mighty good to me. I have really become a big fan of pulled pork with a NC-style sauce. It's a great combo.

Good job!

Hello Richard,

That website of yours looks great. I could feel the WSM working!!

I also tried my first pork butt this weekend and it was easily one of the top three meals I have ever prepared. I bit the bullet and purchased the Maverick ET-73 remote temperature probe for the grill and the meat. It allowed me to sleep from 12:30AM - 7:30AM. The $45 is well worth it. I started the minion method at 10:00PM and had great results. The later time definitly helps for these 15 hours cooks (I also was able to store the roast wrapped in alum foil and blankets in a cooler for 6.5 hours to 155F).

Have fun with your next cook!
Troy

Hey Troy,

Thanks for the reply! I also bought a Maverick ET-73, but it had a defective on/off switch, so I ended up using two wired thermometers this time out. I really like the quality of my wired thermometers (AccuRite), but I also now appreciate the convenience of the wireless ET-73.

I'll exchange the ET-73 and give it a try next time out (probably with a brisket). The ET-73 looks a little fragile, but I think it's worth having in the arsenal for overnight action.

-Richard

Richard,

That looks great! congratulations on a great cook. One question..in the picture of your rub, I assume the large white crystal is salt, what kind of salt did you use, it looks huge. I use kosher salt in my rubs and I think it might be better as the grind is smaller and I've never had a problem with it sticking to the meat. IMO.

Good looking stuff!!!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bruce Bissonnette:
[qb] Richard,

That looks great! congratulations on a great cook. One question..in the picture of your rub, I assume the large white crystal is salt, what kind of salt did you use, it looks huge. I use kosher salt in my rubs and I think it might be better as the grind is smaller and I've never had a problem with it sticking to the meat. IMO.

Good looking stuff!!!!! [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Thanks!

Yes, the salt crytals were huge. I used La Baleine course sea salt (photo). Next time, I'll grind the salt before adding it to the rub, or maybe use the fine version. Neither have iodine, which I see people avoid here. BTW, what's the reason for using non-iodized salt?

Beats me, I have heard some say that iodized salt may leave some sort of streaks in your meat. Other than that, I'm clueless. I always use kosher salt in rubs, applying to meat prior to grilling and for general seasoning.

Iodized salt does discolor the meat. You need to understand that a lot of the info on the net is there because of competion cooks talking to each other. Discolored meat will cost you dearly in appreance score and what you see leads to your perception of whats good verus what's great even on your dinner table.
Jim

The "sea salt" myth is one of the biggest hoaxes ever pulled on the culinary profession. All salt is "sea salt" (except sweat), some was just deposited 100 million years ago, and some was formed through evaporation yesterday. All is derived from sea water or saline lake water.

All natural salt deposits regardless of age have pretty much the same properties. The impurities that some say distinguishes one fancy salt from the other are the same. Sea water has a amazing uniform distribution of elements and minerals other than NaCl where ever it is found, and over time(with a few exceptions like landlocked salt lakes).

What is perceived as differences in salt taste is generally a difference in texture or color. There is no doubt that salt grain size is important when considering how salt is used as a rub component.

Color of salt is from impurities such as manganese, magnesium, potassium, and iron. Anybody know what manganese tastes like? - I don't. The natural salt deposits are mined and then the salt is processed by grinding, adding iodine and some other chemicals that help it pour and be healthy. The Salt Institute informs me that all salt sold here for human consumption must be 99.9 percent NaCl.

I would be impressed if anyone can distinguish the difference in "salt taste", i.e., different salts, in a BBQ sauce, marinade or mop that also contains garlic, pepper, chiles, cumin, basil, thyme, etc.etc. from 0.1 percent of the salt.

Maybe, just maybe, some folks with a educated taste buds could detect different salt in a very delicate dish without any other or little seasoning, but I doubt it.

Personally, I don't know if iodine is harmful. I think for the majority of people it is not. I could care less at this point. One can find problems with any additive. Fluoride in the water may make me sterile (thank God!) ,or whatever it does, if I'm not careful.

I'll probably stir the pot with this post, but so be it. I would really like to give a blind taste test to those dudes selling this stuff at outrageous prices. (Actually I prefer "sea pepper over regular pepper" /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

In the following post, I reference a 2002 article from Cook's Illustrated in which they taste tested salts.

http://tvwbb.101inc.com/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=001113#000007

If I remember correctly, the thrust of the article was that blind taste testers could tell a difference in the flavor of salts when sprinkled over a steak, but not when dissolved in a liquid.

So when making a brine or a rub or a sauce, I don't think the variety matters, unless as Jim says, iodine causes appearance problems in competition barbecue, which might cause someone to avoid iodized table salt.

Regards,
Chris

Chris,

Nuff said! My point continues to be "so they can taste a difference that is subtle", but is simply experiencing a different taste, not a necessarily a better taste, worth the price?

I'm not trying to qualify as "TVWBB Curmugeon", I just speak my mind. I'm not fussin' at anyone on the forum, my comments are really directed at those who try to influence us with such silliness.

Right, I hear what you're saying. I don't take your post to be fussin'.

As far as subtle differences go, I guess it's up to the individual and his/her tastebuds (and wallet) to decide if sea salt costing $13, $16, even $36 per pound is worth it. I can't tell the difference between a $7 bottle of wine and a $70 one, but I guess some people can. Maybe the subtle flavor difference and crunch of a sea salt on a fine USDA Prime steak is worth it to some folks.

What we should be clear about, though, is that in the Cook's Illustrated test, all nine salts tasted basically the same when diluted, so for the purposes of barbecue, non-iodized table salt at 36 cents and kosher salt at 56-66 cents per pound should be fine.

Regards,
Chris

Hey Richard, that's a great, well-done photograph. I'm guessing it wasn't just luck that it came out so good?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rob B.:
[qb] Hey Richard, that's a great, well-done photograph. I'm guessing it wasn't just luck that it came out so good? [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Funny thing is, I had taken some shots during the smoking and of the pulled pork, but then we started eating and I forgot to take a shot of a sandwich. The next day while writing up my notes, I took a break to have a leftover pork'n'coleslaw sandwich, and it hit me that I should take a quick shot before eating it to add to the webpage. I really didn't do anything except wipe the plate before taking the picture!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back