1965 Red Weber Kettle "Ranger"...you gotta see this!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Definitely play hardball. If Weber see's that you're prepared to walk away I bet they'll dig a little deeper - the Performer offer isn't even close to what you could get for this thing. You could always throw it on ebay and let the market decide.

Mike, bummer on the red 27" - it was a beauty... On the bright side they're bringing back the 27" kettle this year - but probably not in red...
icon_frown.gif

I'm in the opposite camp. It seems like you contacted Weber with the recognition that this is a piece of company history and it would be better off there.

If you want to hold them over a barrel, go ahead, but it sounds as though with the above consideration in mind, it an offer you should consider.

Maybe wait until the 27" comes out and ask for that....

I dont know how it would be better off there...If Weber saw it that way, they would give him what he wants. Its not like hes asking for thousands here...a couple grills, big deal. The executives put the vintages infront of there office...Im sure simply for bragging rights. Stick to your request, it will work out.

Here is just a thought. Since executives buy them on their own to put infront of their offices, out of their own pocket they are probably buying the trade item from weber at cost and using the weber shipping channels to get them to you. So, really this guy is offering you the cost of a new performer.

Since these things are status symbols to these guys, I might venture to say that he hasn't told anyone else at weber about this yet and is trying to get it for as little as possible. Try jumping over this person and maybe send the top guys over at Weber an email. I am sure that they might have a little extra cash in their pockets to help you out.

Thanks for all the advice! I have decided to hold onto it for now...unless they offer me a loaded to the gills summit series! I am planning on cleaning it up inside and out and not using it anymore....do you guys have any recommendations for getting rid a small rust spot on the bowl and frame? I was thinking just rubbing said spots with a little silicone spray to keep it from rusting again.

Once it is cleaned up you may see this on flea-bay. There are so many different grills that I want but I figure the ideal scenario would be a loaded summit with a new 22''WSM....or ...dare I say a Big Green Egg?

Anyhow, thanks again for all your advice. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it...and remember, if there are any eccentric millionaires with a penchant for vintage Weber grills, drop me a line!

Regards,
Rick

Ok... a loaded summit is 1000+ along with a 200+ WSM.... that might be a bit high??? Weber could probably build a replica for less than that. I'm not trying to knock what you've got - it's sweet, but that might be unrealistic. Try putting it on ebay if you want to get top dollar, but I'd be very surprised if you broke the $1000 mark.

I didn't initially agree with Jay that you should take the perfomer offer - I still feel that a performer/wsm is a deal you should be able to sell to Weber. The craigslist red 26 3/4 that I referenced did get a summit, but not without a few $$$ out of pocket. Trying to determine the value of this vs. a mint RED 26 3/4 kettle is basically impossible.

I agree..There has to be a line drawn, it is not a Ferrari but it is a piece of BBQ history. $500 in trades (Performer and WSM) is a great deal for both parties. The trades from Weber would set them back a couple bills while you would gain some nice equipment. Your initial request was very reasonable, anything more...a little "iffy"

Hi,
I am from the Northern Europe Weber office, and we are trying to make a Weber museum - so i'd like to offer 500 USD for the Ranger - even though there are missing parts.
I think that piece belongs a place where people can enjoy some of the more funny Weber designs.

Dont hesitate to contact me if you're interested!!! spedersen@weberstephen.dk

If anybody have other of the funny old grills, pls. contact me. See list of BBQ's

Best regards,

Stig

Send us a bunch of kettles with the unique colors of weber europe and we'll try our hardest to convince him!
icon_biggrin.gif

Just kidding. But I would love a copper OTG

I would love to send you a Copper OTG, i have it myself and it is really nice.

i did'nt know that the US team werent selling them in US stores.

I'll see all the product managers next week in Frankfurth - then i will notify them about your wish
icon_redface.gif
)

Regards
Stig

Yeah, I'd probably keep it. Even though it'd be cool in a weber museum, it's cool in your museum too. Clean it up, don't use it, preserve it. That's a unique piece.

Still ticked that the cool colors don't come here in the kettles. My sister or maybe even myself is travelling to Europe. Wonder if it's too much to ask her to bring back a kettle box! How big is the box?

Ok..after much consideration....I will be putting it on EBAY with a buy it now price of $1000. I allready bought a weber smoker and I am loving it! The $$ is worth more to me than this grill. Here is the thing though, if you go through live.com you will get 30% back so it will end up costing you $700. If you are not familiar with how the live.com refund works check out slickdeals.net.

I will try to get it up there tonight for all those interested. If you have any questions you can reach me through here. I will put the link to the auction up later. Take care and thanks for all your help guys.

Ill give you 1000 USD for the Ranger
Pls. contact me on spedersen@weberstephen.dk

You need to ship it to the Weber head office in Chicago - then they'll ship it to Europe.

I assume it is in good conditions, and that you will wrap it perfect so it is secured during the shipping.

Deal?
stig

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back