1964? Red Weber 26” Aristocrat for sale

John Foster

Hi all! I’ve got a 1964+/- red 26” Aristocrat I’d like to sell. It’s been my main family grill for nearly 10 years. When I got it I fitted it with a new walnut handle from one of the members on the forum, and replaced the missing airflow dampers and ash pan with modern equivalents from Weber (I know, I know…but I needed it functional). Grill, grate, legs, bottom triangle, and wheels are all original. Top damper is unmolested. One of the welds on the top handle has come undone, and I’d like to move it on to its next steward. Testing waters here before I put it up on eBay. Let me know if you have any questions or would like to make an offer. Thank you for looking…

Attachments

• 2434058C-72E2-461D-9B8B-E1A1789C99CF.jpeg
    2434058C-72E2-461D-9B8B-E1A1789C99CF.jpeg
    142.1 KB · Views: 43
  • 3C4D801F-5BEF-409B-B5C1-1AF4337140AF.jpeg
    3C4D801F-5BEF-409B-B5C1-1AF4337140AF.jpeg
    116 KB · Views: 40
  • 8C12D08C-08F3-4FEA-804D-DB2A3179F248.jpeg
    8C12D08C-08F3-4FEA-804D-DB2A3179F248.jpeg
    130 KB · Views: 45
  • FC334795-1A4D-4FC8-843D-EEECA1C3E89C.jpeg
    FC334795-1A4D-4FC8-843D-EEECA1C3E89C.jpeg
    211.5 KB · Views: 46
  • 496CAF9D-925B-4127-8749-6E96A916A57D.jpeg
    496CAF9D-925B-4127-8749-6E96A916A57D.jpeg
    175.8 KB · Views: 47
Who lists something but doesn’t put a price? This isn’t an auction house...

I'm not a kettle guy, but that's a cool old grill. Does anybody know what it would cost to have the porcelain refinished, or do you guys not care about that?

I wonder what new porcelean would cost too.

I would guess another $500. I have a patent pending probably 1971 Aristocrat that sure could use that. To justify that you would have to just want it for yourself; I don’t think you could recover all that cost if you had to sell. I am looking at some more modest ideas for mine.

I would guess another $500. I have a patent pending probably 1971 Aristocrat that sure could use that. To justify that you would have to just want it for yourself; I don’t think you could recover all that cost if you had to sell. I am looking at some more modest ideas for mine.
I was assuming that you would do that and keep it for yourself. I guess I was just wondering if those old ones are so much better than a brand new one that you would pay a premium just to have the privilege of owning one. Personally, I wouldn't pay $500 for it unless it was in pristine condition. I was just wondering what the deal was on something like that.

The old ones were definitely built better with thicker metal and more porcelain, at least that's what I have read and seen. Of course, most any 50-year-old kettle is going to have a lot of wear and tear, usually including chipped off porcelain and rust. I think for most people it is just the cool connection with a time gone by when George :george: was calling the shots at Weber. They also had some unusual colors back then that further fuel the collecting bug. Some well-healed kettle collectors will pay hefty prices for the right one in nice condition. I am not so sure how an early kettle that has been re-porcelained would do in the market. It would certainly make a nice conversation piece, but I doubt I would ever cook on it.

The old "flat-top" 26ers are cool, but I don't know that they would cook better than a current version. The old ones also use different size cooking and charcoal grates, so you have to seek those out. (Mark Baron of Killa Grilla makes them.) I have also found that most kettle people of regular means are always looking for their own "barn find" and that grills like this one are not as easy to sell as you might think.

Re-porcelaining would ruin it. We don’t seek out old kettles to refurbish them, we seek them out for what they are...40, 50, 60 year old plus appliances that have withstood the rest of time. They’ve lived through who knows what; moves, storms, weather, bumps nicks and kicks, and still stand ready to pump out delicious food at will.

Why would you pay 500 bucks for an old kettle, only to redo the porcelain for what, another 500!? You’ve got a thousand dollar.....nothing. When you could go buy a new one for 330. It loses everything that it is.

We see the same in the collector car market. An original paint car will always draw more interest than a fresh restore with a $20,000 paint job. Always. It’s got stories to tell with every little Nick and rock chip. In the 80’s and 90’s, if the paint wasn’t shiny they got stripped and redone. Most of those stories were lost, forever. Some had one-off custom paint jobs, and now are another boring Plum Crazy ‘70 ‘Cuda in a sea of them. The uniqueness is gone.

Tim, I think your point is well taken. I can't collect old cars, but I enjoy reading about the hobby. The trend does seem to be in favor of original and even my favorite - driveable dreams. It is hard for me as a rehabber of old classic gas grills - which to date hasn't gotten traction as a collector item (other than with me) - to not want to fix-up kettles as well. I have an intact 1974 18" that I got for like 15 bucks. I cleaned it up, did just a little touch-up black paint and put a new shiny grate in it. It sits in my office with a copy of a 1974 Weber brochure inside for those interested enough to ask why I have an old grill here. But, it still has its "patina" and I would not redo the porcelain even if it was cheap to do so. On the other hand, I have a patent-pending 1974 red 26" red Aristocrat in considerably worse shape than the one posted above. While I don't see recoating it, I personally would like to at least tone down the moon craters so that it looks more appealing. I guess that's just me. If I do go through with that, I will post how it goes here. It was kind of a barn find, so at least I don't have a lot of $ to lose.

I am in the Weber Kettle Club and own 40+ kettles from the 60s, 70s, and 80s. The value of this Aristocrat is decreased by the replacement dampers (not period correct- should be small turn tabs) and the missing original ash pan. Original damper could be found on a "donor kettle" and a WKC member does make and sell replacement 26 inch pans. To each their own, but most collectors do not fix porcelain or paint it. Usually, we oil any rust spots and maintain the patina. I've seen very nice, all original Aristocrats go for $500, so respectfully, this one probably would not go that high. However, they are rare and to the right collector, they may pay a bit more just to have one.

I definitely agree with what you are saying MJ. I have a nice red 22” I bought from a great guy who is an active WKC member. It has a couple spots but nothing so bad that it would take away from its charm. I have left it “as is” except for sanding and restaining the handle and having my artist friend hand paint the Weber name on it:

1D367A75-9CEE-4ACC-A8CB-2303685C38D2.jpeg

My Aristocrat is another story:
6B7278FF-C74C-473B-A993-1CB735200F34.jpeg

DA1BCC16-FFB6-486B-B600-89595F11992D.jpeg
85D663B8-1587-40B6-A6FD-3376A8847949.jpeg

I actually tried to sell this grill, but most potential buyers felt it was too rough. It is worth more to me than someone else. So, for a keeper - I guess - I am willing to go beyond oiling the chips and see if I can at least make it look less like a moonscape. Nonetheless, I do get that it is not to most collectors’ preference.

I think I understand where everyone is coming from on the issue of preserving the history of the grill, car, or whatever old item we can name. That being said, I think I would still be tempted to have one of those old grills refinished. It would probably end up in my living room never to be cooked on again though. That's a tough one.

I might be more interested if the underlying metal was in better shape - and I came into a windfall😂! It would certainly look beautiful if the guy in Independence redid it. He does some amazing work even making Glen Blue, Westerner and other versions of the Go Anywhere starting out with a plain black version. He does also restore - so some people are good with it.

Last edited:
I might be more interested if the underlying metal was in better shape - and I came into a windfall😂! It would certainly look beautiful if the guy in Independence redid it. He does some amazing work even making Glen Blue, Westerner and other versions of the Go Anywhere starting out with a plain black version. He dies also restore - so some people are good with it.
I'm good with it for sure, but realize that sometimes money is a consideration. As long as I didn't pay a lot for it in the first place I would probably do it. You'll give in eventually ☺

Back