18" Pellet Stacker From Smoke Daddy Inc

Todd Brazil

TVWBB Member
Smoke Daddy has recently added an 18" pellet stacker conversion for the WSM to their line-up. I would like to convert a smoker but have some questions/concerns some of you may be able to address:

1) What happens if the auger or hot rod breaks? Where would I obtain service? Is mechanical failure common in pellet grills?
2) Would I be wiser to buy an entire pellet grill? The stacker is $425 and a new 18" WSM is $299. For $724 I could purchase a Pellet Pro, Green Mountain grill or Traeger. I have heard some negatives about Traeger however.
3) How much smoke flavor is actually imparted w/ pellets? Would food be too smoky or is the burn so efficient that not enough smoke flavor would be noticed?

I must admit I do like the ability to remove the stacker system from the WSM w/out a lot of hassle and use the smoker in a traditional fashion.

Your input is greatly appreciated. :wsm:

I don't have a stacker, but do have some pellet burners;
1) Most will have a shear pin of some kind in the auger that can be easily replaced, if the hot rod goes out the pellets can be ignited with alcohol gel, a torch, or Weber cube.
2)Can't answer that one for you, GMG and Louisianna have good reps for the price, Traeger's have been cheapened a lot. Also, Fast Eddy has a non-stainless version of the Cookshack PG500 for about the same money as the Green Mountain, made by New England Stove Works I believe.
3) Pellets smolder at lower temps and are very efficient at high temps. this can be used to your advantage. For example, you can apply more smoke at the lowest setting for a couple hours then turn up to 250° if you want. You can use them to bake at 350° with very little smoke flavor.

Back