18.5" WSM - first time doing more than 1 rack

John A

TVWBB Member
I'm going for 5 racks on my 18.5" WSM this weekend. On the WSM I've had great luck smoking 1 rack at a time. Before my WSM I was comfortable doing 3 racks on my standing ribrack on my Weber performer.

Here's what I'm thinking for this weekends 5 racks:
1: 5 racks on the top grate standing vertical and then rotate every hour or so (outside racks to the inside etc.). I was thinking about using the lower grate to hold some of the rib trimmings (I'm getting baby backs from costco which in my opinion have a bit too much meat on the tops - so I trim it off and smoke it along with the ribs for a snack).
or
2: Put 2-3 on each grate and then rotate the ribs on the top rack to the bottom rack. (this ignores the rib trimmings).

What are your thoughts? I think i'm leaning towards method 1 and perhaps trimming the ribs a bit to make sure they fit comfy on the WSM. I dont want the edges to burn.

Also - I've been cooking 1 rack on the WSM for about 4 hours. Do you think the addition of 4 extra racks will increase that time much?
Thanks - John

Interesting. I hadn't thought of that!

I've never rolled before but what benefit would rolling have over just using the rib rack? Do they straighten out? I've got 5 people coming over and I was going to serve each slab on a plate - I'd like them to stay straight, I think.

Thanks!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John A:
Interesting. I hadn't thought of that!

I've never rolled before but what benefit would rolling have over just using the rib rack? Do they straighten out? I've got 5 people coming over and I was going to serve each slab on a plate - I'd like them to stay straight, I think.

Thanks! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The main advantage I see is no cleanup when you roll them. I have rolled and secured with toothpicks (thanks Konrad Haskins).

I have found when cooked rolled, they don't lay flat without breaking. The ribs keep the rolled form unless I am doing something wrong. I like to foil my ribs for the final 30 minutes and have been unable to cook in a roll, then foil due to the rolled shape, therefore I cook mine flat and if too long, cut in half.

Back