18.5" Water pan alternative found?

Kent L

Found a pizza pan at my local closeout store called ollies. It is made by wilton. Im not sure about using it though since it has a non stick coating. Thoughts? It fits perfectly into the my 18.5".IMG_20200715_170737087.jpgIMG_20200715_171033441.jpg

The non stick is not going to be smart. It may outgas some nasty stuff if you get a runaway heat spike, get a steel one or even aluminum and you won’t have any thing to think about.

If you have a charcoal/gas grill you can crank it up and try to burn the coating off or just do what my wife does to non-stick coatings and use metal utensils and knives on it.

I was able to find some really good heavy weight deep dish aluminum pizza pans on Amazon. They have enough depth to catch drippings and the heat only seems to discolor them. No warping or anything like that.

On another note, that's a clean middle section!

I personally would not sweat the coating. Coatings on pans like that (as Lee suggests) will routinely get burned up and/or scraped off in normal use. That's what eventually happens to all of my roaster pans that came with a coating.

Seems like a nice option, especially with the perforations. Bonus points if you could clean it in the dishwasher -- does it fit?

But for $30, I went with the FireDial. Fits perfectly, perforated, completely flat. So you can easily clean it with a paint scraper if you leave the metal exposed (like a flavorizer bar). You can also foil it or put a disposable drip tray on it.

I bought this used a couple weeks ago. Guy only said he used it once....all i did was do a season on it and run a batch of beef ribs through it so far....hence the clean mid section! Im going to do a couple roaster chickens tomorrow. Well see how it goes. I just got the pan since it had the perforations sort of like a firedial. Ill give it a try. Maybe ill try to burn the coating off well see. I only paid $3 for it so its no biggie if i mess it up.

You could always wrap the bottom with aluminum foil if your worried about heat and the non stick coating.

Tim

Back