18.5 Performer or Frankenweber?

D Keith

Thanks to the great site here and my WSM, I have been bitten by the charcoal bug. I found the grill below on CL for $40. Looks to be in good shape but missing the ash pan which I can replace easily. It's a date code DD, so a 2000 model on the kettle. Did Weber sell 18.5 Performers around that time? I haven't been able to come up with anything related to that. Here's the entire unit.

grill1.jpg

Now here's what really threw me....it looks like a bottom of a kettle with leg holes available for a regular stand-up kettle.

grill2.jpg

The welding on the side makes me think this is a legit 18.5 Performer but was curious what the consensus was. Either way it looks to be a nice grill I can use for years to come. Thanks in advance.

It is a One Touch Platinum which they made for three years. Great grill and I have the 22.5 version myself. I believe it was positioned between the Master Touch/One Touch Gold and the Performer in the Weber line. All the benefits of a MT with a nice side table and aluminum frame. I would pick it up for the price listed.

Last edited:
The leg supports are on the table mounted grills because they still support the ash ring. Yes, it's the real deal and fairly uncommon.

What a great find that is. I would love to find one like it. Definitely worth the money.

Last edited:

Back