18.5 or 22?

J Moodie

TVWBB Member
Hi I am looking at getting by WSM in the next couple days! Super excited!
If I may be cooking for max 10 people at a time should I get the 22"?
Also what size is being used for the cooking topics on this site? I like the idea of 4 Bork butts with all those left overs? Can that much fit on the 18.5?
From Oakville, Ontario!

Get the 22.
icon_biggrin.gif

Go big or go home!

The 18 will do what you want based on the info you provided. The 18 will cook for large crowds, but the 22 will do enormous cooks. Consider portability, the 18 might fit better in whatever vehicle you drive. The 22 is awesome though, I would consider if budget allows, and if the size of your cooks might be huge. Good luck.

J Moodie, Yes the 18.5 can hold 4 butts or 2 brisket packers. I have the 18.5 and it is big enough to cook for 10 folks, BUT, if you want to cook 2 different meats or 3 at the same temp, then go big. If you plan on feeding 10 then probably after they all eat your BBQ you will have 15 or more banging down your door wanting MEAT. I am thinking about a 22.5 WSM as a second smoker for comp. I could also go with 2 18.5s but..... The big boy I have heard does use about 25% more fuel than little brother. It is quite a bit larger overall but if you are not transporting or have enough room then no worries. Both are great cookers as you already know, since you are buying one. Welcome aboard.

Mark

Yes, you can do 4 butts on an 18". You can also cook for 10 on an 18".

I recommend you visit a local ACE Hardware or BBQ Galore and compare the two side-by-side. The 22" is Huge! Make sure you have the rooom for it.

Before the kids went off to college and live on their own, I used to cook for 6 regularly and the 18" handled it easily. I did eventually buy a second 18" due to my increasing involvement in large cooks like block parties and church picnics and ... just because I wanted another.
icon_wink.gif
It also made mixed meat cooks a lot easier.

If you have the room and the extra $100, get the 22". Rarely does anyone wish they had gone smaller.

Oakville isn't that far from me. I'm in Ajax. picked up my 22 in Vaughn from ontario gass bbq. The store is massive and everything is there to look at. Was going to get the 18 but after 1st cook of back ribs was really happy with the space on the 22. When cooking for just the wife and I, I say why did I get the big one, but as soon as company comes I grin ear to ear when I'm not fighting to cram everything in. Just my opinion but go big and be happy with extra space.

Thanks for the advice, I definetly need to see the 2 side by side. BBQ's galore only has the 18.5 on the floor.
Shawn G do you know of any other stores in our area that may sell it so I can see the difference? I should have the space for it though.
Also do you know of a place where I can get it for less than $449 CAD?

Looked all over for a store that had them side by side on the floor and no luck in this area. The only one close is about 5min south of the vaughn mills shopping center. Worked out pretty good the wife went clothes shopping while I picked up smoker. She was so happy she must of forgot to ask me how much! Ha! Anyway picked up for 419 cad. at store. Here is the web address http://www.bbqs.com

Back