18.5 Cooking Grates Temperature Difference

Jeff Boudman

TVWBB Wizard
I usually only cook 3 butts on the top grate but am considering cooking 4 or 5 Memorial Day.
Has anyone measured the temperature difference between the top and bottom cooking grates?
Thanks.

If you go with a dry pan, the temperatures difference will be determined by how much energy is sucked up by those shoulders on the lower grate.
I'll back out here, since I have never actually measured the difference.

It's really not that much, but you or I get better color on the top so rotate when the top ones look good.
I think Mr A did a temp difference but I can't find it.
Tim

I actually just cooked 2 racks of spareribs on the WSM using both grates. I was too lazy to use a rib rack and just wanted to lay them flat. The temp difference was around 15 degrees for me most of the time. I used an empty water pan with foil. I imagine every cooker and cut of meat will be a little different though.

I actually just cooked 2 racks of spareribs on the WSM using both grates. I was too lazy to use a rib rack and just wanted to lay them flat. The temp difference was around 15 degrees for me most of the time. I used an empty water pan with foil. I imagine every cooker and cut of meat will be a little different though.
Thanks for the reply.
Where was the temperature difference? Was the top higher?

Thanks for the reply.
Where was the temperature difference? Was the top higher?
The top grate was higher than the lower grate. If I would have used ceramic briquettes like I usually do, both grates might have been around the same. If you use water, the lower grate might be even cooler.

I usually only cook 3 butts on the top grate but am considering cooking 4 or 5 Memorial Day.
Has anyone measured the temperature difference between the top and bottom cooking grates?
Thanks.

Jeff,

Are you using internal temperature meat probes? If so, it's easy to just monitor and measure those temps to get what you want on either level of your WSM.

G

Jeff,

Are you using internal temperature meat probes? If so, it's easy to just monitor and measure those temps to get what you want on either level of your WSM.

G
Thanks for the reply. I was able to get some 7 pound butts today, and can cook them all on the top grate I will be using two Thermoworks Smokes. Thanks again.

Back