18.5 air intakes question

Boston Jeff

TVWBB Fan
I did a first cook on the 18.5 and everything was hunky dory . After the cook I let the coals die by closing all vents . When it was cooled down I wiped the racks clean , , emptied the unused coals and ash in the bottom . Wiped the bottom clean etc etc . Now the vents are very hard to open and close , has anybody experienced this and if so how did you correct the problem .

Jeff

Yes, sometimes Weber rivets the vent wheels vert tight against the body, example, the top vent on my new 22.5 was glued shut after my first cook. I had to take a rubber mallet to it in order to get it to move. I sprayed water on the vent and that help a little, but figured it was too much metal on metal contact I grabbed each of the tabs and pulled upward just a bit to get it away from the cooker. I did this slowly and the wheel now turns easily. If you don't correct this ASAP the contact will wear the finish on the cooker. I think Weber's QC is slipping, I have had to replace the lid, waterpan, t-stat, and now deal with this on a new 22.5. Had no issues at all with my 2 yr old 18.5. Glad I only paid $172 for both of them new. Perhaps a Backwoods Party or Pitmaster Safe is in my near future.

Well , I tried spraying with Pam , worked like a charm , they move with ease now , Dave G thanks for the tip . Bryon , I know what you mean about webers QC , I had to have my 22.5 lid replaced as the handle was mounted cockeyed , but they replaced with no problem , and very quickly , so I am a very satsfied customer .

Last edited:

Back