16 Pounds of Pork Butt on the Jumbo Joe

Teddy J.

TVWBB Pro
Picked up a couple butts from SAMs, and had the intention of cooking them individually, but had just enough room to squeeze them both in.

On they go, used mix of hickory and apple wood.

0A582C9B-0D26-41C3-8514-45B00BE7A1BA.jpg

A few hours in, I was shooting for a cooker target temp of 250 degrees. Butts were foiled at 160.

A11E1702-1982-4422-A0B3-7922B5BF0E36.jpg

Ready to come off. Removed foil at ~190, then cooked till tender. Total cook time was around 13 hours.

6D5EC3CC-CE76-4D17-9FA7-C78683C385AC.jpg

Pan #1

210AA155-1B89-4CF3-AC29-68AD311B2E1E.jpg

Pan #2

07172007-78D5-4FD3-B1A7-78CAA17B0049_1.jpg

With a little bit of attention and some creativity with foil, they turned out pretty good!

Nice work. I'm getting more inspired to try and concur the pork butt.
Did you mop or sauce during the smoking process?

Nice work. I'm getting more inspired to try and concur the pork butt.
Did you mop or sauce during the smoking process?

I did not mop or sauce at all. Applied rub right before going on cooker, foiled @ 160 internal temp, removed foil at ~190, then removed butt when tender (worked out to around ~205 internal temp).

When cooking these on the Jumbo Joe, my target temp is ~250. If I was cooking on the Performer or WSM, temp would be higher, ~280 for example. Because the JJ has such a shallow lid, you've got to keep the temp really low to avoid burning the outside (especially the side facing the fire, as well as the top). I just cover with foil in the problem areas. :)

Give it a try, with the countless butts I've cooked over the years, I've yet to ruin one. Typically the ones I fall asleep on turn out the best, lol.

awesome - how on earth do did you get 13 hours out of a Jumbo Joe ....

Just need to add a small handful of charcoal to the basket every 2-3 hours. It's a little tedious, but served as a reminder to rotate them anyway. I did find enough time to run out and watch American Sniper, though. I will say this, once the meat heats up, the temp holds REALLY steady, WSM-esque.

Never would have thought you could fit all that meat on a JJ. The clearance between the cooking grate and the underside of the lid would have made me think it would not work. I would have been wrong. Gotta love a Weber Kettle.

That's a lotta butt! Looks SO delicous. Did you just stare at that shoulder blade and watch it fall out? ;)

Just need to add a small handful of charcoal to the basket every 2-3 hours. It's a little tedious, but served as a reminder to rotate them anyway. I did find enough time to run out and watch American Sniper, though. I will say this, once the meat heats up, the temp holds REALLY steady, WSM-esque.

thanks teddy - nice job

Back