16 lb rib roast (posted in grilling by accident)

Kenny S

TVWBB Fan
I need some help. My last post was before my 40th birthday and I got some great advice about smoking 40 lbs of butt on my 18.5 WSM. The smoke was a smashing success. Well I am back again because I need help. I recently was elected to City Council in my hometown of Charlotte. I am having my campaign team over for a victory dinner on Saturday night. There will be 17 people. I bought a 16 lb boneless rib roast from Costco. It may be a little big even after I clean it up but it was the smallest one they had. My plan is to use indirect heat on my kettle, Weber of course, and then sear it over direct heat at the end. Here is my question. How long should I epxect it to take? Any help is greatly appreciated as usual.

Also a good friend of mine has a great marinade. Not sure if we can make recommendations but his website is www.ogresauce.com. It is awesome on ribs and chicken. Ogre says it is good on steak but I am think it is more of a white meat marinade. It is a little pricey but I swear it makes the best beer can chicken I have ever had. Ribs are incredible as well.

I need some help. My last post was before my 40th birthday and I got some great advice about smoking 40 lbs of butt on my 18.5 WSM. The smoke was a smashing success. Well I am back again because I need help. I recently was elected to City Council in my hometown of Charlotte. I am having my campaign team over for a victory dinner on Saturday night. There will be 17 people. I bought a 16 lb boneless rib roast from Costco. It may be a little big even after I clean it up but it was the smallest one they had. My plan is to use indirect heat on my kettle, Weber of course, and then sear it over direct heat at the end. Here is my question. How long should I epxect it to take? Any help is greatly appreciated as usual.

Also a good friend of mine has a great marinade. Not sure if we can make recommendations but his website is www.ogresauce.com. It is awesome on ribs and chicken. Ogre says it is good on steak but I am think it is more of a white meat marinade. It is a little pricey but I swear it makes the best beer can chicken I have ever had. Ribs are incredible as well.

One thing that I have learned, is that you can get in real trouble when you try to micromanage the timing. Unfortunately, bbq and grilling don't care about our schedules.

That being said, I have done this about 10 times. As to the marinade, in my opinion, prime rib is so good that you don't want to smother the natural awesomeness of the beef. When I do prime rib, I coat it with olive oil. and sprinkle some salt and pepper on it...it needs no more. I usually serve some sauce on the side (au jus or horseradish) if my guests want something.

As to the timing, there are a million variables (cooking temp, weather where you are, what level do you want it cooked to, etc). For a roast that big, if my average grill temp was around 325, I'd guess that it might take 3 hours before the middle hits 120-125, which is when I would take it off for medium rare? I would cook the meat indirectly, and maybe add a chink or two of hardwood for a bit of smoke, just enough so you know it wasn't cooked in the kitchen.

Prime rib isn't that hard. Monitor the cooking temp and the temp inside the middle of the roast. Take it off when the middle hits 120-125 degrees, wrap in foil for 15-20 minutes to finish cooking/redistribute juices.

I understand about timing. More just curious as to when to put it on since I am having people over. I'll leave myself 3 hrs. I am using a wet rub from Amazing Ribs. It is really good and not too complicated. I'll post pictures when I am done!

I personally don't see a problem with more complicated rubs or seasonings on a prime rib roast. It's thick enough that there's tons of pure beefy goodness in the middle. Nothing wrong with a more complex taste on the outside bites.

One of the best things to have in this situation, is a probe thermometer, that sticks into the meat while coking so that you always know the exact temp of the roast. As long as you don't overcook it, you cannot ruin it. In my experience, whether you cook it at 250 for a longer time, or 400 for a shorter time, the results will be awesome, as long as you don't overcook it.

And we all know that when we are entertaining, it would be convenient to predict the timing. But the fact is, regardless of the size of the roast and the temp at which you cook it, it's done when she hits 120-125, not when she's been on the grill for a specified time. Internal temp is all that matters.

My mouth is watering, post somne pics. Prime rib on a charcoal grill. Doesn't get much better!

I cleaned it up last night. Lightly salted. Going to put some rub on it tonight. I'll post pictures!!

Good luck Kenny and enjoy the craft, it makes a big difference when you do. Don't forget the pics, anticipation is building

The optimal way to do this imo is a low and slow fire if you can manage on your kettle. 200-250 degrees until internal of 120 for rare. Should take 3-4 hours. Rest, then sear right before service.

I like to slather my beef with mashed garlic, dijon mustard, salt, and lots of cracked black pepper.

Kenny please do not over rub or over think this cook. Primerib needs no help for extra flavor. Kosher salt, fresh cracked pepper, granulated garlic and cumin is all that is needed. Cook between 250-300 till internal temp hits 120 for rare, i normally cook it till 125-130 but no more than 130. Good luck!

Kenny please do not over rub or over think this cook. Primerib needs no help for extra flavor. Kosher salt, fresh cracked pepper, granulated garlic and cumin is all that is needed. Cook between 250-300 till internal temp hits 120 for rare, i normally cook it till 125-130 but no more than 130. Good luck!

Back in the day when working in the restaurant business, prime rib was seasoned simply (salt, pepper, garlic) and put in the oven just after lunch rush (1-130pm) to 120 F int temp then stored until the dinner hour. It was then sliced and prepared to order. I have not cooked prime rib at home yet but when I do, it will the KISS philosophy all the way. If you have adequate space to rest the meat like a big cooler, I suggest going this route. Fire up your grill and a few stove burners and cook to order.

Meathead on Amazing ribs swears the cook time should not increase based on the length (opening floodgates for jokes). I am going to fire it up a little early to be safe. And yes I did use an elaborate rub. I did a test run with it last week and it was incredible. Wish me luck. The kettle will be smoking soon.

Meathead on Amazing ribs swears the cook time should not increase based on the length (opening floodgates for jokes). I am going to fire it up a little early to be safe. And yes I did use an elaborate rub. I did a test run with it last week and it was incredible. Wish me luck. The kettle will be smoking soon.

Length doesn't matter much. Thickness matters...

Back