15 gal drum SJS project

Well, I've used it several times during the summer, but strictly as a rib hanger. I've done as many as 6 St. Louis spares at a time and it does a great job using just one large chimney full of briquettes. I don't think I'll use it for anything else but that. And it really beats using my UDS for doing ribs on all counts.
For any other smaller cooks, I use the tamale pot config. which in itself has been getting a lot of use. :)

wow a lot of work but nice thats the reason i got a pit barrel smoker the work already been done and only 260 dollars hard to beat with a 30 gallon drum just saying

George,

Curious what the drum cost? Also is it bare steel inside or is it coated/plated?

I'm going to make myself a set of legs like yours when I get home tonight. My SJG seems a little wobbly under the Tamale pot.

George,

Curious what the drum cost? Also is it bare steel inside or is it coated/plated?

I'm going to make myself a set of legs like yours when I get home tonight. My SJG seems a little wobbly under the Tamale pot.

I bought the drum new for $43 from Ditty Containers in El Monte. And it came unlined, bare steel interior. Exterior came painted black as you see.

Last edited:
and the other george got my drum from a friend. its was for oil but is rusty on the inside now so gonna clean
that up and give it a hot burn anyway and it should be good to go.

man, you just had to bring that up ! but i think cuz i'm in a wheelchair that the mini smoker setop would be easier for me to handle.
pics when you got the mini uds up and running !

George L- I really like the beefier replacement legs that you made. Do you have a template that you can post or share the measurements of where you made the bends in the aluminum bar stock?

Thanks!

Hey George~, I just found your thread were you posted the details of your beefed up legs. I'm gonna have to do this but first I've got to get my bench vice back from my son-or just give him the bar stock and the template and let him make 'em!

Thanks again for sharing this information.

Last edited:

Back