11 lb. Picnic..how long should it take to smoke

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">This is weird..it's now 11:40 and the internal temp just dropped to 165..is this normal? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Yes it is. The rendering fat will cause a temp drop. Personally, I'd up the cooker to 250 lid. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed. Up to 250 lid temp. With your lid temp, you probably only pushing a grate temp in the 215-220 range. Peak as little as possible.
icon_wink.gif

If you are spraying it with apple juice, just put the tip of the nozzle up to one of the vent holes and spray into it from different angles. That will help get her done sooner keeping the lid on.
icon_biggrin.gif

I have cooked them as low as 215 before, and I saw no difference in the end product other than it took a lot longer.

Ok here it is....I turned it up to 250, the total cooking time was 16 hours and 15 minutes to reach 195. It's in the foil wrap now ..looks like we eat at 8:00!
wsmsmile8gm.gif
I want to thank everyone who help with advice, you have made my first WSM cookout a Great success...
picnic2.jpg

Looks great, glad you liked it! I don't know what your price per pound is, but for $.98 pound here, they are a bargain! Can't wait to rip into the ones I have on now, and I just had some on Thursday lol.

Bob T,
I paid $.99 pound here at Bj's. I think the next smoke will be 4 small picnics or butts...the problem I found is that there just wasn't enough...
icon_biggrin.gif

Hi! Have any of you cooked one of these with the skin on? I like the nice crackly skin you get with roast pig. I'm wondering if the skin on a picnic would render similarly on the WSM, or if it would be best to do that in an oven.

Michael -

I love crackling too. If I want crackling, though, I always do it in the oven - not in the smoker. It doesn't get as crisp as I like in the smoker. I think it is better done in an over at a temp a little higher than 225... like around 300.

For that reason, if I'm smoking, I take the skin off.

I think you should help your brother more...

Get a yound and a old priest

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by adam clyde:
I love crackling too. If I want crackling, though, I always do it in the oven I think it is better done in an over at a temp a little higher than 225... like around 300.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Or 350+. I do brined, rubbed, skin-on fresh ham in the kettle at a high temp for tasty skin. At 225 you don't get good texture as adam notes; removing the skin post-cook also removes the rub. For a low/slow picnic I think you're better off removing the skin and cooking it separately at a higher temp thus allowing you to rub the picnic's meat directly.

Adam and K, thanks very much for the info on picnics and skin. I appreciate it. Looks like I'll be doing the skin separately in the oven, because I'd really like to taste one of these done on the WSM!
icon_smile.gif
I've got one thawing in the refrigerator that I got and froze a week or so ago.

The bone is usually completely clean and devoid of anything when it comes out. While you could definitely use it for soup, but I don't think you'll get too much smoky or pork flavor.

But try and let us know if you notice a big difference.

Back