11 lb brisket on at 12:15 pm.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">there is no way to prevent the wood chunks from igniting and creating alot of heavy smoke, at these temps </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Tom, I'll sometimes "foil" a few of the wood chunks, poking a bunch of tiny holes in it. It's what I had to do in the old days on
my gasser.

Brisket came out great.

I had temp issues as it suddenly got very windy. Temps wouldn't ge past 300-310 for most of the cook. It was a battle, and I wouldn't say I won either.

Not a problem, just took a bit longer.

Tender, moist, and a small smoke ring.

I really don't care about the smoke ring anyways.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Went inside and made the paste, lightly trimmed the point cavity, and salted the brisket. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Craig,
Should I understand this to mean that on a High-Heat brisket cook one is not to trim the entire brisket but only the cavity? Does a High-Heat cook require that more of the fat be left on the meat?
I want to give this a try soon.

I've done it both ways.

I think it's easier to trim after the brisket is done.

I do lop off some of the hard fat around the point if it's "chunky", and also dig into the cavity, but thats all.

The fat on the bottom of the flat doesn't render down as well as a low and slow, and I used to thin it out....but stopped. So now I just trim as needed when slicing.

Call me lazy.

I trimmed mine down a bit. It was close to starting a grease fire, cause I was lazy and didn't clean out the foiled tray from the previous two or three cooks. But overall I was happy with the results, and the chopped up point went real quick.

But now I will definitely foil my next one.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by craig castille:
I've done it both ways.

I think it's easier to trim after the brisket is done.

The fat on the bottom of the flat doesn't render down as well as a low and slow, and I used to thin it out....but stopped. So now I just trim as needed when slicing.

Call me lazy. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yep! I come from the fat = flavor camp, and it also adds some protection from the heat, esp if doing a high heat cook. What doesn't get rendered down can be cut off rather easily once the meat is cooked, if one so desires to throw all that goodness away.
icon_wink.gif
I trim nothing.
icon_biggrin.gif

Back