10 lb Butt

Bob D

Hi all I’m getting ready for my annual Memorial Day que this Sunday. I have already purchased 2 butts that are almost 8 lb each and unknown to me a friend also bought a 10 butt to contribute to the que. This 10 lb butt will be the biggest I have ever done so I guess I will follow my usual rule of 1.5 hours per pound which has worked well for me. I am wondering if it will fit on my wsm I really don't want to cut it in half any suggestions. I’m doing my ribs on my NBBD offset smoker and using the Minion method on my wsm. Thanks for any ideas and happing queing to all.

I have put two 10 pound butts on the top rack before without any problem at all - plenty of room on the bottom rack for a brisket.

Since you have three butts, I would probably put the big one on top and the two smaller ones on the bottom. Remember that 10 pounder will take lots of rub - not much surface added, but 2 extra pounds of meat there.

Jeff

Thanks for the reply Jeff, I as thinking of putting it on bottom grill for the fact I think it will take about 2 hours longer to cook and the it would be easier to baste the to other ones on the top grill, then I could take them off and hold them wrapped and put in a cooler while the 10 pounder finished off.
Bob

My reasoning for the 10 pounder on the top was that it would be exposed to higher heat - I was thinking that the big one at a slightly higher temp would finish at about the same time as the smaller ones at a lower temp.

Which ever way works for you - 25 pounds of butt - thats gonna be quite a feast
icon_smile.gif

You should for sure put the 10 poundr on the top rack I have had a similar situation on my WSM and if you put the bigger butt on top and the smaller ones on bottom they will get done at almost the exact time

Smokey J's BBQ

Ok I think I will put the big one top it makes since heat does rise, I had not thought about that so the temp should be a bit hotter there. The other 2 butts are both right at 8 lbs each. Thanks for the ideas I appreciate the help. Yes 25 lbs is a lot but after cooking I should have about 12 or so lbs of finished product don't you think?

Bob, doing over 36 lbs of butt this weekend. Have done this amount before. Would do more if I just could figure out how to stand those puppies on their side. I'm looking forward to doing it. Each burn is a challenge. Eventhough the method maybe consistant you always have some variables such as meat type ,weather,charcoal or lump, etc.That's the challenge and the fun.

Ok all thanks so much for the for the help. I will let you know how they turn out , Iam off to make up a big batch of rub.

Back