$1.68 a pound normal for butt?

DavidD

TVWBB Super Fan
I know some of you get the large double packs from warehouse stores, but i shop at smaller grocery stores. Is $1.68 per pound for boneless butt good or bad? It was wrapped in string too. Is bone in more or less? The sampling at my local store is poor, so i have little perspective on what prices should be. they have plenty of picnic, which is $1.08 a pound

Here in San Diego, boneless usually cost about .50 cents more. Normal price is around $1.99 per lb. When they go on sale here, it's $1.59 to .99 cents per lb. When they go down to .99 cents, i usually grab like 4-6 8 pounders and just put em in the freezer.

David, $1.68 is a pretty good price for a boneless butt. Like Ariel said, boneless butts are always more than bone-in butts, although I prefer bone-in butts. They always turn out more moist and flavorful for me.

Erik

Here locally (Winston-Salem, NC area) I try not to pay over .99 per pound for bone-in butts. Two grocery stores had them at that price this week. I don't buy the butts they have out in the meat case - I usually find that, if I ask at the meat counter, they can give me a 2-butt cryopac (which is how they receive them) which then goes directly into my freezer.

Back