1.5lb pork tenderloin on WSM Time?

Rick Soliman

TVWBB Pro
I am doing two 2lb slabs of Baby backs today and a 1.5lb pork tenderloin. I am going to place the porktender loin on the bottom grate with a full water pan. My baby backs will take appox 4.5hrs at 220 when sould I put the tenderloin on.
Iam thinking with 3hrs left and add some more smoke wood.

Rick
The Smoke Hunters BBQ

Rick, it has been my experience that tenderloins don't benefit from the cook on the WSM..I would grill it indirect if you can.
icon_smile.gif

Greg is right. You want to sear a pork tenderloin, just like a steak. Sear it and move it to the side for indirect cooking finish. If you're determined to use your smoker, sear the tenderloin on the grill or a cast iron skillet and do the indirect on the wsm. It probably wouldn't take more than 45 minutes to finish that way.

T-loins are almost always a high-heat cook for me but if tossing them on the smoker the big deal--for me--is more when they come off rather than when they go on. If the meat is cold and you're running as low as you are they should have a good amount of time in the smoke before needing to be pulled. (I smoke mostly in the 240-260 range.) I take them to 120-125 then sear, turning frequently till crusty all over and 142, then rest 10 min. If done early they can be double HD-wrapped then toweled and stuck in the nuker (or small cooler) to hold for a bit.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rick Soli:
Well I usually cook tenderloin on my performer however I had some relly good tenderloin from a WSM two weeks ago. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds like you need to talk to the person with the WSM that cooked the tenderloin. Then you need to report back here with all the details.
wsmsmile8gm.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

I have done a little research on this very subject. I got a wild hair a couple of weeks ago and grabed some tenderloins at sams. I came home and dug into the site to find out how to cook it. Only then finding it is better grilled. I have a weber gasser and didn't want to do it on the gasser. Anyhow I don't remember the thread it was in but it took some reading to find as I recall.

fire up a chimney and dump coals in and put wire grill rack on the charcoal ring. Sear the tenderloin over the coals for 8 minutes then assemble the wsm normally with grill rack on the top. Smoke with empty water pan and temp 325-350. Takes about an hour to reach 165 internal. Very tasty. So much so I have bought it twice since. I was afraid there wouldn't be enough smoke since I seared it first. Well I was wrong on that.

I used old bay garlic herb on a couple of them. my wife asked me to use the tri tip rub on them the other day and it was good. I didn't have any parsley though. My only problem is it is very salty. I think I have figured out a fix for that though. Next time I am going to the tri tip rub except cut the salt in half and use the same amount of sugar as salt. I can't wait to try it out.

I couldn't believe how tender it was. You could cut it with a fork.

Back